Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

rtemplin
Regular Visitor

Comma Format count of values in Matrix

I am new to the forum and PBI.  My apologies if I breach any forum protocol.

So below is a matrix visualization i have on a report. The values are a count of a non-numeric field.  

I want the counts to be formatted as XX,XXX.   So, for example, 15009 would be 15,009.  

I do not know a way, let alone the best, to accomplish?

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Best way would be to create a measure that does your count like:

MyCount = COUNT('Table'[Column])

Then, you can highlight this measure and go to the Modeling tab in the ribbon and click the "," button to format it.

image.png

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
vishal097
Helper II
Helper II

@Greg_Deckler  I have same requirement but little different 

I want to show values with comma separate but can't not use above mentioned option neither I can use Format function in dax as it gives text values and Power BI work weired with text.

Is there any other way we can get the same result 

Note I have matxix where I am showing all type of values like some KPI has % some has decimal, some has whole number and some has comma separate values. 

ara0530
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have the same issue but I do NOT see the Field Formatting menu.  If I create a measure, then the tooltip displays BOTH the default and my measure so the measure solution does not work.  Please adivse

Sherry_R
Advocate I
Advocate I

I realize this is an old post, but here's another option for anyone else who comes across this (this functionality was added after the original post).

You can select the visual and go to formatting options, then choose "Field Formatting" and select the field you want, then enter a value for decimal places and select apply to total.  There is not an option for "thousands separator" specifically, but populating the decimal places will result in the comma appearing.

2020-05-21_9-40-44.jpg

This worked for me. Thank you.

found it.
it's under "Specific Column" menu, in "values" sub-menu.

it worked with count but didn't worked with sum.
CMIIW

@rtemplin  This should be marked as a solution.  It accomplishes exactly what you're asking for and doesn't require the creation of extra measures.

thanks

Thanks for sharing, I had a simliar issue as OP and found this to be a quick and easy solution for me!

Very simple and great solution!!!!

Thanks for posting it!

Thanks! This looks like the cleanest solution!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Best way would be to create a measure that does your count like:

MyCount = COUNT('Table'[Column])

Then, you can highlight this measure and go to the Modeling tab in the ribbon and click the "," button to format it.

image.png

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you, Greg.  I greatly appreciate the help and forum guidance.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.