Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Combining rows based on duplicate column value

I have a merged table in the Power Query Editor that looks like this:

FruitAttributeValue
AppleTextureCrunchy
AppleColorRed
AppleColorGreen
BananaTextureSoft
BananaColorYellow
GrapeTextureCrunchy
GrapeTextureChewy
GrapeColorPurple

I'd like to combine the rows with the same Attribute value in such a way that the Attribute value remains unchanged and the Value values become a combined, comma-separated value:

FruitAttributeValue
AppleTextureCrunchy
AppleColorRed, Green
BananaTextureSoft
BananaColorYellow
GrapeTextureCrunchy, Chewy
GrapeColorPurple

Is there a way to do this in the Power Query Editor? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

There isn't a very (GUI based) quick way of doing this but it is not very hard to accomplish. The following code is the M:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WciwoyElV0lEKSa0oKS0CsZyLSvOSMyqVYnUQss75OflFQDooNQWruHtRamoeWMYpMQ8IUQwMzk8rQZWDaYtMzcnJLwfLuRclFuB2BxbZjNRyVDmYoQGlRSDHxcYCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Fruit = _t, Attribute = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Fruit", type text}, {"Attribute", type text}, {"Value", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Fruit", "Attribute"}, {{"Count", each Text.Combine([Value], ", "), type text}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Look at the line starting with #"Grouped Rows", it takes your original table, groups it by the two columns and the values corresponding per group are a list. That list can be input of the Text.Combine function. 

Let me know if this helps you out 🙂 You can copy paste the entire code into an empty query by opening the 'Advanced Editor'.

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

There isn't a very (GUI based) quick way of doing this but it is not very hard to accomplish. The following code is the M:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WciwoyElV0lEKSa0oKS0CsZyLSvOSMyqVYnUQss75OflFQDooNQWruHtRamoeWMYpMQ8IUQwMzk8rQZWDaYtMzcnJLwfLuRclFuB2BxbZjNRyVDmYoQGlRSDHxcYCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Fruit = _t, Attribute = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Fruit", type text}, {"Attribute", type text}, {"Value", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Fruit", "Attribute"}, {{"Count", each Text.Combine([Value], ", "), type text}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Look at the line starting with #"Grouped Rows", it takes your original table, groups it by the two columns and the values corresponding per group are a list. That list can be input of the Text.Combine function. 

Let me know if this helps you out 🙂 You can copy paste the entire code into an empty query by opening the 'Advanced Editor'.

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Works perfectly. Thanks for the help!

Hi @Anonymous 

@JarroVGIT has the right answer for you, but you can use the GUI to give you a bit of a head start.

CombineRowValues.png

As a further step, you might also pivot on the attribute column so that Texture and Color become separate columns instead of separate rows and there's only one row per fruit. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.