Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Riskman
Regular Visitor

Combining filled and bubble map

I want to display specific locations on top of a filled map - is this possible.

So for example I can show a map of the USA with the states shaded according to crime rates for example but can I then place specific location markers on that as well?

8 REPLIES 8
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Riskman You mean like drop a pin ? I don't think that's possbile. Unless you know R and go down that path of creating R visuals where you create your own maps.

Hi @ankitpatira I mean combining both these map visualizations in a single image. Perhaps it's not possible as you say.

shape_map.PNGbubble_map.PNG

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can do couple things...

Create a Filled Map and a regular Map next to each other like this

The Filled Map shows you the states and the regular map the location (1)

When you select CA in the Filled Map - the regular Map will zoom in on CA and show you those locations (2)

Map Test 1.png

You can also use the dirill down feature in regular maps...

Create 1 Regular Map - place both State and City in the Location area

click drill down button (top right corner) - click CA - the SAME map will zoom in on CA

Map Test 2.png

Hope this helps! Let me know.

Hi @Sean in your first suggestion you said clicking on CA in the Filled map would zoom the second map to CA. I couldn't get that to work. Do you have to do something specific to get this going?

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Riskman Yes - when you click on the Filled Map - the regular map zooms to that state.

What fields are you using in the second map and how are they formatted?

Map-Zoom.png

@Sean I have State (formatted as text) and my locations (specified as addresses in free text). Both of these are added to the Location field. The Long/Lat fields are not used:

map.png

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Riskman think of the Filled Map as your Slicer - and the regular map shows ALL locations - remove State from the Location field.

This also works with Counties.

Thanks @Sean the two map approach could work. Not exactly what I wanted but I think it's good for now - thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.