Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Riskman
Regular Visitor

Combining filled and bubble map

I want to display specific locations on top of a filled map - is this possible.

So for example I can show a map of the USA with the states shaded according to crime rates for example but can I then place specific location markers on that as well?

8 REPLIES 8
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Riskman You mean like drop a pin ? I don't think that's possbile. Unless you know R and go down that path of creating R visuals where you create your own maps.

Hi @ankitpatira I mean combining both these map visualizations in a single image. Perhaps it's not possible as you say.

shape_map.PNGbubble_map.PNG

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can do couple things...

Create a Filled Map and a regular Map next to each other like this

The Filled Map shows you the states and the regular map the location (1)

When you select CA in the Filled Map - the regular Map will zoom in on CA and show you those locations (2)

Map Test 1.png

You can also use the dirill down feature in regular maps...

Create 1 Regular Map - place both State and City in the Location area

click drill down button (top right corner) - click CA - the SAME map will zoom in on CA

Map Test 2.png

Hope this helps! Let me know.

Hi @Sean in your first suggestion you said clicking on CA in the Filled map would zoom the second map to CA. I couldn't get that to work. Do you have to do something specific to get this going?

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Riskman Yes - when you click on the Filled Map - the regular map zooms to that state.

What fields are you using in the second map and how are they formatted?

Map-Zoom.png

@Sean I have State (formatted as text) and my locations (specified as addresses in free text). Both of these are added to the Location field. The Long/Lat fields are not used:

map.png

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Riskman think of the Filled Map as your Slicer - and the regular map shows ALL locations - remove State from the Location field.

This also works with Counties.

Thanks @Sean the two map approach could work. Not exactly what I wanted but I think it's good for now - thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.