Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KWelsh8144
Helper II
Helper II

Combining data from two different tables

Hi, I'm currently using Direct Query (and cannot change to import since it needs to be live) and cannot figure out how to get the data to display the way I need it to.

I have two tables that are joined by the ID. One of the tables lists projects and the other table lists the tasks associated with the projects.

For example, project 1 may have 5 tasks associated with it. I'm looking to design a table that lists the projects but with the tasks inserted (indented) under the project.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KWelsh8144
Helper II
Helper II

I managed to this to work by starting over. I had added one column to the table, so i'm not sure if  that's what was holding this up or what, but i did manage to get this to work.

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
KWelsh8144
Helper II
Helper II

I managed to this to work by starting over. I had added one column to the table, so i'm not sure if  that's what was holding this up or what, but i did manage to get this to work.

Thanks for your help!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@KWelsh8144,

Could you please post the T-SQL statements that you use to create the tables so that I can repro? Also we need to know what other transformations you made in Power BI Desktop Query Editor .

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
KWelsh8144
Helper II
Helper II

@v-yuezhe-msft I am using the October 2018 version. I originally had it as the highlighted option: Merge Queries as New. I tried it using Merge Queries and I receive the message below.Capture.PNG

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@KWelsh8144,

What version of Power BI Desktop do you use? Do you merge into a new query using the highlighted option below? If so, switch  to use merge queries option. If the issue still persists, please share the T-sql you use to create the two tables so that I can test.

1.PNG

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
KWelsh8144
Helper II
Helper II

Capture.PNG

I am receiving this error when i close & apply. What can I do to get passed this? @v-yuezhe-msft

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@KWelsh8144,

You can merge the two queries in Power BI Desktop query editor based on ID, for more details, please review this blog:http://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.