Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jo5hua22
Helper I
Helper I

Combining data between 2 unrelated tables

Hello community,

I would require your help in using data from a table that is unrelated to another table.

When i try to use the data in the visuals, I am getting error as they are unrelated.

Example:

Sales Table:

Jo5hua22_0-1631111747025.png

Claim Table:

Jo5hua22_1-1631111764155.png

I would like to use line & stacked column chart where the column value should contain the data of number of claims in a year/month. The x axis should be claims date. The line value should contain the total sales for the year/month (month view through drill down feature)

Example of Expected visual:

Jo5hua22_3-1631112025505.png

Can you please help me out in this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Jo5hua22 , create a common date table and join it with the sales date of the first table and the claim date of the second table.

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jo5hua22
Helper I
Helper I

Hi
Yes! The answer is

Step 1: create a new date table for the years(2020 to 2030?) you want.

Step 2: Link the dates of the unreleated tables with the common date table (Table A <-> Date Table; Date Table <-> Table B)

mh2587
Super User
Super User

Try to full outer join on Surogate Key , Make two index column in both the table then relate it for further detail follow the link    https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Merging-two-unrelated-tables/m-p/22543#M7096

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn Icon
Muhammad Hasnain

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Jo5hua22 , create a common date table and join it with the sales date of the first table and the claim date of the second table.

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :radacad sqlbi My Video Series Appreciate your Kudos.

Hi 

Thanks for the idea. But it is not working. I am still facing the same error. I created a new date table and linked sales and claim date with it. But when I do it, the date hiearchy option is removed and I am not able to get the needed visual

Hi - did you ever figure this out?  I'm facing the same issue right now 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.