Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Beyondforce
Helper I
Helper I

Combining Tables with extra columns!

Hey All,

I'm going get a data (CSV files) from a folder (Folder connection). In that folder, I have old files and new files with extra column like in the picture.

p6.png

In the new files I have new columns, Year, Month and Day, and they are all numbers from the Date column.

1. How do I import all the files into a new table with the extra columns?

2. After the import, how do I extract the Year, Month and Day from the old files date into the right columns?

3 Can the above be done at the same time?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Beyondforce,

As I test, please click Edit Query and open the Query Editor as follows.

1.PNG

Please select the Date field and click Date buttom(highlighted in red line) under Add colum above, add the year, month and day columns.

2.PNG

2. After the import, how do I extract the Year, Month and Day from the old files date into the right columns?

You can select the column and drag it left or right to correct position. 

Drag the column position, to confirm your column order of new table and older table are same. Then you can append them together. More details, please refer to this blog.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Beyondforce,

As I test, please click Edit Query and open the Query Editor as follows.

1.PNG

Please select the Date field and click Date buttom(highlighted in red line) under Add colum above, add the year, month and day columns.

2.PNG

2. After the import, how do I extract the Year, Month and Day from the old files date into the right columns?

You can select the column and drag it left or right to correct position. 

Drag the column position, to confirm your column order of new table and older table are same. Then you can append them together. More details, please refer to this blog.

Best Regards,
Angelia

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

In correspondence with your other question, I put everything in 1 query.

Something like this:

let
    Source = Folder.Files("........."),
    Filtered = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Extension] = ".csv"),
    TransformBinary = Table.AddColumn(Filtered, "TransformedBinary", each 
        let
            Source = Csv.Document([Content],[Delimiter=",", Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
            #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
            #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Date", type date}}),
            AddColumns = if List.Contains(Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type"),"Year")
                         then #"Changed Type"
                         else let
                                  AddedDateRecord = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type","DateRecord", each Date.ToRecord([Date])),
                                  Expanded = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(AddedDateRecord, "DateRecord", {"Year", "Month", "Day"}, {"Year", "Month", "Day"})
                              in
                                  Expanded,
            #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(AddColumns,{"Year", "Month", "Day", "Date", "Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4"})
        in
            #"Reordered Columns"),

Renamed = Table.RenameColumns(TransformBinary, {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    Removed = Table.SelectColumns(Renamed, {"Source.Name", "TransformedBinary"}),
    Expanded = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Removed, "TransformedBinary", Table.ColumnNames(TransformBinary[TransformedBinary]{0})),
    Typed = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Expanded,{{"Year", Int64.Type}, {"Month", Int64.Type}, {"Day", Int64.Type}, {"Date", type date}, {"Column1", Int64.Type}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}, {"Column3", Int64.Type}, {"Column4", Int64.Type}})
in
    Typed

Remark: I removed the "Columns" field from the second parameter (record) in function Csv.Document.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Hi @MarcelBeug,

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it.

One thing I haven't mentioned, that I am a newbie! That mean, it will take me sometime to figure out what changes do I need to make to make it work. But I'll update you as soon as get any results.

Cheers.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.