Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI123456
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Combing TXT files with different columns

Hi - I am trying to combine several TXT files that have different columns, so not all the columns are being captured. I found a few ways of doing it, but that assumes the header is already established. My problem is that I have to promote the headers after I combine. Any tips please? 

11 REPLIES 11
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @PowerBI123456 

In Power Query, you can use Merge to bring them altogether.  Basically, when you have one or more columns that you want to bring together, you can merge them.  

Let me know if you want me to provide further steps.

Theo 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

Yes, please! How do you do that exactly? Thank you so much?

Hi @PowerBI123456 

Here is a basic tutorial: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/merge-queries-power-query-fd157620-5470-4c0f-b132-7ca2616...

Go to the "Perform a Merge Operation" section.

Hopefully this helps.

Theo 🙂

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

@TheoC  Thanks! but this requires me bringing in one file at a time right? The folder of files I am bringing will have a new file each week. 

@PowerBI123456 sorry, just realised that what you're after is to use Folder as Source.  You won't need to use merge.  Similar to your situation, the example I provided in the earlier post with 15,000+ CSVs, each CSV has up to 480 columns and can have 5 rows of data to 500,000, generated every 15 mins.  Although your scenario may not use that many files / records, etc., it still applies the same logic and will work perfectly.

Give it a go and let me know if you need any further help k!

Theo

Hi - thank you so much for your quick responses and help! However, I am not following. How are you capturing all the different columns from a folder? Would you be able to provide an example? My problem is also that I have to promote the headers after combining since they are txt files and the first row is coming as "column 1", "column 2", etc. instead of the actual headers. 

@PowerBI123456 each TXT should be structured in some format that has a delimeter, correct?  For example, this might be a pipe | a comma , semicolon ; or something that differentiates what is and what isn't a new column?  Basically, when you select Folder as Source, you can Combine and Edit.  During this process, you select to do your manipulation / transformation on a Sample File or the First File.  Herein, whatever you do to the First File or Sample File, Power BI applies the same transformations to all of you TXTs in the folder.

I can try recreating the situation with dummy data if that helps. Appreciate your help!

@PowerBI123456 that would be great if you can.  In the meantime, please watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAw4rrpc7vk  it will hopefully provide you with the necessary steps to follow and apply to manage the various columns.

Yup, I got that part. But the issue is that the first  file might have 70 different columns, but the second file has 80. What is happening is those 10 extra columns from the second file are not coming over and there is mismatch since the extra columns are in the middle of the file. 

@PowerBI123456 no, not at all. Just dump the new file into the folder.  Below is a screenshot of a folder I use as source for a specific client.  Each file has different number of columns, some the same and some different.  They're monthly management reports and I generate it, dump it in the folder used as source then move on to the next.  

TheoC_0-1644357415119.png

Another client report I've built generates CSV files every 15 mins from an FTP Server and saves them down to a specific location. There are 15,000+ files in this example and over 8GB of data. CSV are pretty much identical to TXTs in their format for Power BI. 

TheoC_1-1644357681589.png

Hope this helps and provides context 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.