Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Combined Stacked Area and Line Chart in Power BI

Pipeline combined graph.PNG

want to combine a stacked area chart where I show the accumulated pipeline of Sold, weighted and unweighed pipeline i relation to the salesplan. It is a very useful way to view the sales pipeline and easy to make in Excel (see picture). However, I am not able  to generate this combined graph in Power BI. Any tips?

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was this ever solved?!? I don't think so because i'm running into the same issue 😞 

To recap the problem - is there functionality in BI to create a combo chart with *stacked area* and *line*?  Equivalent to the selecting in excel combo chart below. 

NOT *stacked column* and *line*

NOT *area* and *line*

Appreciate help with this!!

Mick219_0-1627510890350.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

We can achieve this by importing Power KPI chart from the market place without writing any code. Load Power KPI chart from app source(Market Place) to power BI desktop and create the chart as shown below.

Power KPI chart by default creates the chart as a line chart

Line chart.jpgColumns.jpg

We can change the line chart to a combined line and stacked area chart by going to Fomat->line->Type and change Type from "Line" to "Area" for the columns you wanted to show as the area.

Please find the below screenshot for your reference.

line area format.jpgline and area chart.jpg

Please accept this as a solution If this helps you.

Thank you!

Regards,

Aswini

The Power KPI visual does not allow you modify the primary and second y-axis scale. Is there a way to go around that? Or is there a new visual I can use for a combo line and area chart?

@Ridlot 
I am not aware of any free apps for that. There are maybe a couple of paid custom visuals on the marketplace that can get you this result.

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/yavdaanalyticspvtltd1628223732998.mul...

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

A stacked area chart can meet your requirement, please refer to: https://www.tutorialgateway.org/stacked-area-chart-in-power-bi/

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, but the stacked chart tutorial does not cover the combination of a stacked area and a seperate line in one chart as shown in my example

@Anonymous ,

Have you solved your issue by now? If you have, could you please help mark the correct answer to finish the thread? Your contribution will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

I solved it partly with Stacked column and line shart, but it is not visually  very good compared to using Stacked Area Chart When accumulatingpipeline and plan (Line), the width of the columns make the harder to compare. It would be good if Power BI could support line and stacked area charts

Anonymous
Not applicable

It would still be nice if MS could make available a view with combined Stacked area and Line graph as they do very nicely in Excel

Hi John,

This is more of a workaround, but I hope it helps.

I personally recommend creating the stacked area chart with your "actual" data first. Then, copy&paste it over itself, switch the type to line, and replace the "actual" fields with the "target" ones. You should see the stacked area chart as you need it, and have a line over it demonstrating where you are in relationship to your target. They should both update with a refresh.

An alternative way of visualizing this information is through the KPI visual. Here's a brief tutorial/introduction, in case you find it helpful: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-kpi

Let me know if that works for you! I recommend the copy&paste method because trying to get the visuals to be exactly the same size can become frustrating if you're doing it manually. Please note that this method will limit your hierarchy capabilities, so I recommend adding in slicers and other interactive filters/highlights so you know what data you're working with.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it and struggle to make it work for 2 reasons.

1. adding the two graphs (1 displaying the stacked Area + 1 displaying the lines of plan and last year revenue) means that the Y axis may be different for the two graphs stacked on top of each other. ( I need to have automatic scaling of the Y axis and I found no way of haveing a common denominator that ensures that the Y axis scale was identical for the two graphs.

2. Displying the Legend for both graphs without overlapping each other was not achivable for me

Tips is appreciated

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.