Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

carlwright

Combined SQL and Excel Spreadsheet

Hi

I have created a report which requires a gateway access to SQL Server and access to an excel spreadsheet.

Both work fine in Power BI desktop.

However when I publish the Use Gateway option is greyed out for the SQL Server I wish to use and it only allows me to use the personal mode.

If I remove the spreadsheet data source it works fine and I can use the data gateway.

Credentials for both SQL and Spreadsheet are entered.

I used a sharepoint excel spreadsheet via a web data source as explained in the documentation.

Does anyone have any idea why I am unable to use a SQL Gateway while using a spreadsheet at the same time?

Thanks

Carl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @carlwright,

As the dataset contains both SQL Server and SharePoint Excel data sources, to use on-premise data gateway, those two data sources need to be created under the on-premise data gateway.

In your scenario, assume the SharePoint Excel from the SharePoint online which requires Oauth2 authentication, then you won't be able to create a web source points to the SharePoint online data source, thus data gateway is no available in this scenario.

The good news is that the PG team already working on the feature data gateway supports OAuth2. The current ETA is end of August for availability in PowerBI.com. You can see latest update and comment on this idea: Combine enterprise gateway and online data sources.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @carlwright,

As the dataset contains both SQL Server and SharePoint Excel data sources, to use on-premise data gateway, those two data sources need to be created under the on-premise data gateway.

In your scenario, assume the SharePoint Excel from the SharePoint online which requires Oauth2 authentication, then you won't be able to create a web source points to the SharePoint online data source, thus data gateway is no available in this scenario.

The good news is that the PG team already working on the feature data gateway supports OAuth2. The current ETA is end of August for availability in PowerBI.com. You can see latest update and comment on this idea: Combine enterprise gateway and online data sources.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Carl great anwer, 

Is it possible to do it now?

regards

Thanks for the update

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.