Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

schwinnen
Helper V
Helper V

Combine tables without appending

I'm looking for a way to combine data from multiple tables with identical columns without appending.  

Currently, I am querying a Postgresql database going back at least 60 days.  This is a lot of data and causing some refresh issues.  As a solution, I'm trying to pull in static data for past months that doesn't need to refresh so that I will be refreshing data only for the current month.  I still need all this data in one table, however if I append them it's going to continue to refresh all of the data even if I uncheck "include in report refresh" on the original table.  

Questions:

1) Is there a way to combine this data without appending?

2) As an alternative solution, is there a way to create a calculated column to lookup information that could be on one of multiple tables.  My formula now is:

RESULT = LOOKUPVALUE(Table1[ABC],Table1[transaction_id],Table2[id])
Could I still accomplish this if the value I'm trying to lookup could be on Table1, Table3, Table4, etc.

3) Does it matter?  I read on another forum that the data is going to refresh in Power BI Service even if I uncheck "include in report refresh" in desktop.  If that's the case, none of this matters.

Any other ideas for accessing large amounts of data without having to refresh the entire dataset are welcome. We are working on a longer term data warehousing solution, but that's down the line.  I only have a few queries complex enough to cause issues so I'm looking for a temporary solution to get those under control.  Unfortunately, the complexity of those queries also seems to make incremental refresh impossible as well. 

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @schwinnen 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly mark the helpful answer as a solution. if not, please share more details about your question, we'd like to provide further support. thanks!
If you've fixed by your own, it would be much appreciated if you can share your solution here. 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

@v-diye-msft- It is not solved, athough there probably is no solution possible at this time.

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @schwinnen ,

Please find my comments below:

1. Not quite sure about the result you expected, could you plz show more?

2. You can refer to :https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/999e8db0-e689-4ce6-bfa1-a3f2d67b1647/tabula...

3. Yes. uncheck "include in report refresh" works in desktop, but when you published to service and implemented the gateway, it's different.

4. incremental refresh accessible in power bi premium https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
MCornish
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Unless you have Power BI Premium, incremental refresh isnt available.

My company wont pay the cost of Premium so I have looked at every possible way I could think of to do what your looking at and nothing work.

If its server load your looking at you could export a month at a time into files, load into PBI append all your queries and then query just live month data from your server and append that. Then only the live data would be pulled from the server.

Beyond that I dont think there is a way, hence why Premium is so expensive, because they have you over a barrel

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.