Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SnowAus

Combine tables with columns that vary between source files

Hello, I hoping for some guidance on a problem i have - I'm relatively new to this (but enthusiastic!) 

My organisation has several hundred meters which report interval consumption monthly in a large .XLSX file. My issue is that the way this file is exported does vary and when they files combine, the data is not correct. This occurs because, due to the nature of the metering on site, if meters are decommissioned, they no longer appear in the file (ie, their column is no longer there). Also, we often add meters, and these are inserted by the reporting software relative to other meters, ie, the new column could be in the middle of the dataset. I thought it best to try to represent this diagramatically, see below:

file format.PNGWhat the files look like over a few monthsWhat the files look like over a few monthsdesired output.PNG

I know why this is occuring but i am unsure if this can be configured to achieve my desired output. Ideally, i would like to set this up to reference headers - i know the reasons why this is difficult (ie, non-union compatible) but i am not sure how to solve the problem - i am sure that i would not be 

Desired outcome would be all files in a single folder, refreshing as new data is added and tied back to the headers for each file for subsequent analysis. 

Any hints on where to start would be much appreciated - Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@SnowAus 

You may add Table.PromoteHeaders in The Advanced Editor.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello

thanks for your response.

I am not sure i follow how this could work. I am already promoting headers, but this still does not align the columns in the files where non-identical columns exist.

Can you elaborate at all?

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.