cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nethunt Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Combine same tables from different companies

In addition to message https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Combine-same-tables-with-from-different-companies/m-p/19853... we have an issue / question.

In our situation we have 10 companies; but that shouldn't be a problem (I think).

Added a column in each (company)query (name query and company has to different - so far so good).

In our case the primary key of a table is YearWeek.

In the table itself this key is unique. However combined not (then there are 10 the same primary keys).

After applying the query changes I got of course the following message:

Column "YearWeek" in Table 001 contains a duplicate value "201601" and this is not allowed for columns on the one side of a many-to-one relationship or for coluns that are used as the primary key of a table.

What is the best way to add unique primary keys to each table or an other way to solve this ?

TIA for replying

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Moderator Eric_Zhang

Re: Combine same tables from different companies

@Nethunt wrote:

In addition to message https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Combine-same-tables-with-from-different-companies/m-p/19853... we have an issue / question.

In our situation we have 10 companies; but that shouldn't be a problem (I think).

Added a column in each (company)query (name query and company has to different - so far so good).

In the table itself this key is unique. However combined not (then there are 10 the same primary keys).

Column "YearWeek" in Table 001 contains a duplicate value "201601" and this is not allowed for columns on the one side of a many-to-one relationship or for coluns that are used as the primary key of a table.

What is the best way to add unique primary keys to each table or an other way to solve this ?

TIA for replying

@Nethunt

Roughly speaking, you can try to create a composite column like "company1_201601" and this column contains unique values in your case. What is the many table in this relationship? Usually a better practice is putting the '201601' in a calendar table which is connected to Table001 with the column dates. 

1 REPLY 1
Moderator Eric_Zhang

Re: Combine same tables from different companies

@Nethunt wrote:

TIA for replying

@Nethunt

Roughly speaking, you can try to create a composite column like "company1_201601" and this column contains unique values in your case. What is the many table in this relationship? Usually a better practice is putting the '201601' in a calendar table which is connected to Table001 with the column dates.