Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Fompy123
Frequent Visitor

Combine parameter with a different column?

Hi,

I'm trying to create a parameter which I want to use in a formula for a different table, but for some reason the column type doesn't recognize that it is a value? Do someone have a solution?

1. I'm creating a table: 

Rate = GENERATESERIES(0, 0.5, 0.1)

2. I'm creating a measure to get the chosen value
Value of Rate = SELECTEDVALUE('Rate'[Rate])

3. In another table, I have a column formula, for example 
Test = 'Rate'[Value of Rate] * 100

Here I would like the new table to list the value of "Test" for each row, depending on what value i select for the parameter.. Any ideas? For example if I write "Test = 2 * 100" it works fine but it doesnt seem to translate for example 'Rate'[Value of Rate] to a number which could be 2 or something..

Thanks in advance!
4 REPLIES 4
Fompy123
Frequent Visitor

Oh, I see. This doesn't solve my problem, unfortunately. What I want to do is, in your example, multiply the Column1 values with the chosen rate. For example it wouldn't say: 

Fompy123_0-1677225775938.png

It would say: 

Fompy123_1-1677225890741.png

So, it is the calculated column (in a different table) that has the measure "Rate"/"Test" (which lies in a different table than the calculated column) as input. But maybe this is impossible due to the filter context thing.

Maybe there is a better solution to be able to - in a calculated column which has a measure as a input/variable - chose which value that measure has. I wan't to be able to toggle between different input values without having to manually go into the field section and write the value. 

v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Fompy123 ,

It seems that your [Test] is a calculated column?

SELECTEDVALUE() returns the value when the context for columnName has been filtered down to one distinct value only. Otherwise returns alternateResult.

If you use it in calculated column, the value you selected in slicer will not pass to calculated column, thus it will return blank values.

You may need to add a measure to a table visual:

vjianbolimsft_0-1677118519859.png

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Oh, how do you add a measure to a table visual, where you can toggle between different input values? 

Hi @Fompy123 ,

You can add the measure to the table visual's column field:

vjianbolimsft_0-1677201298469.png

If you change the selected value in the slicer, the input values will change too:

vjianbolimsft_1-1677201397483.png

vjianbolimsft_2-1677201411237.png

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.