Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

csolutions
Frequent Visitor

Combine last refresh with new data

I might be over thinking this - or the solution just hasn't occurred to me. 

I have a data file that pulls pricing by customer and price type. The pricing is entered daily. The ERP system we're using doesn't store the historical price by type. I need to pull this data daily and keep all of the history. I can set up Power BI to do so but I need the historical data to stay along with the new data. My workaround for a similar query was to set up an excel sheet linked to the database that had a macro to copy the table and insert it into another sheet (shifted older data down). I set up a windows trigger to open the file right before the macro event so everything ran automatically. The problem with the pricing file is it's 80K lines and over 30 days it would be 2.4M lines. 

Is there a way in Power BI to keep prior refresh data and merge with the new data?

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @csolutions,

Power BI is a data analysis tool, which means the data should be fresh. There isn't a direct way to save the historic data in Power BI for now. If you disable the refresh of one query in the Desktop, it would be historic in the Desktop. But that's inconvenient. 

I would suggest you create a database to store the data due to the size is quite big. 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
tarunsingla
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Try this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/walkthrough-push-data

Regards,

Tarun

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.