Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sujit_Thakur
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Combine files

Dear all , 

I have number of files in a folder , in which every file is data for each day .

Now my task I to combine these files and make a BI report .

I am using get data from folder  option , which works great , but the issue is every file contains  column header , i.e for file first file  I promoted first row as header , but the column header from other files are still present in my data , 

Please help to remove column headers of files other than first file , so that I can move further for making report .

Thanks in advance 

Please help @nickyvv @amitchandak 

Regards ,

Sujit Thakur 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Sujit_Thakur - The key here is getting the Promoted Headers step into the correct query. The query you want to edit should be called Transform Sample File. Here is an example of the query you want to edit (below). Any steps that are in this query should be performed for each file in the folder.

Greg_Deckler_0-1595421463558.png

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Sujit_Thakur
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Greg_Deckler  please help , I know you have answered such questions before , but to do it with excel files from a folder .

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried loading a folder of excel files. It is loading fine. Only the first file's header is loaded. For rest of the files, it takes only the data.

PBIM00.png

Following is the auto-generated power query.

let
    Source = Folder.Files("C:\Users\Sreenath\Documents\TestFiles"),
    #"Filtered Hidden Files1" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Attributes]?[Hidden]? <> true),
    #"Invoke Custom Function1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Filtered Hidden Files1", "Transform File (2)", each #"Transform File (2)"([Content])),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Invoke Custom Function1", {"Name", "Source.Name"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1", {"Source.Name", "Transform File (2)"}),
    #"Expanded Table Column1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File (2)", Table.ColumnNames(#"Transform File (2)"(#"Sample File (2)"))),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Table Column1",{{"Source.Name", type text}, {"Item", type text}, {"Qty", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

There is no step in the process where I had to explicitly "promote" the 1st row as headers. It was kind of automatic. But you mentioned that you did it. 

Can you compare the power query here with the power query in your file? Can you post a screen shot of the step where you are promoting the first row as headers? It will  help.

@Sujit_Thakur - The key here is getting the Promoted Headers step into the correct query. The query you want to edit should be called Transform Sample File. Here is an example of the query you want to edit (below). Any steps that are in this query should be performed for each file in the folder.

Greg_Deckler_0-1595421463558.png

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you @Greg_Deckler  sir 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Sujit_Thakur , Are you merging file. If you are merging. Then merge will take care of header ?

https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

@amitchandak @nickyvv  please help 

Dear @amitchandak ,

I am not mergibg , I am using get data and then selecting folder as a option and selecting a primary sheet type to extract data from all the files in folder

IMG20200722122539.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.