Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

khaycock
Helper I
Helper I

Combine data from one table into another table on same field

I have two sets of data, one that holds a summary of all costs for a department (Table 1) and a second that holds a more detailed account of some of the costs for a department (Table 2).

I want to combine the data from Table 2 to be part of the data in Table 1, not merge them together or anything as the data in Table 2 is the same as the data in Table 1, it's just in more detail.

I can't only use Table 2 and sum it up because the amount in Table 1 is a lot more than Table 2, Table 1 is just some of it. 

Is there a way of using both sets of data where I can use all of the detail from Table 2 but also keep the remaining summary data from Table 1?

3 REPLIES 3
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @khaycock ,

I think what you might need is to use Left Outer Join in the Query Editor, refer to the article below:

Power BI – Seven Types of Table Joins

11.PNG

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-joesh-msft 

I'm not sure what field to merge them on as I don't have a unique key that they can match on. I would usually append the two as ideally they would be concatenated as the rest of the data is the same, it's that Table 2 is part of the Table 1 figures so cant be added..

Thanks,

Kathryn

Hi @khaycock ,

Could you please share your sample data for us to have a test if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.