Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Combine column totals to get total percentages

I have a table that is like this

DIVISION 4    DIVISION 5   DIVISION 6 

$200              $100               $400

$150              $300               $200

TOTAL      $350              $400               $600

The total is summarized by Power BI on its own. I need a way to get the total of the three divisons added up, and then have the total of Division 4, 5, and 6 be divided by that total. For example, the total would be $1350, then I would need $350 / $1350 turned into a percentage. Then made into a PI chart with the 3 percentages at the end.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Add an index column in Query Editor and unpivot other columns.

2.PNG

3.PNG

Then create a measure and create a martix visual as below.

Measure = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Value])/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Index]))

4.PNG

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Add an index column in Query Editor and unpivot other columns.

2.PNG

3.PNG

Then create a measure and create a martix visual as below.

Measure = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Value])/CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[Value]),ALLEXCEPT('Table','Table'[Index]))

4.PNG

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous do you have raw data in this pivoted format or it is a matrix view? If raw data is like this, you need to unpivot it for better design and then you can write measures to calculate % but first I would like to know how raw table looks like

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm very new to Power BI and really do not know.

powerbi table.PNG

@Anonymous the source from where you are pulling the data, division are on the columns or on the rows?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The columns. The total of the columns of each Division. The column totals need to all be added up and then divided back by the Division total. So if Divison 1 Total is 100 and Division 2 Total is 100, the Full Total would be 200 and the number I need would be 100/200, the percentage.

Hi,

Share thw raw data here in a format that can be pasted in an MS Excel file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.