Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LarsP
Regular Visitor

Combine binaries returns null for columns with different header name

I have 3 excel files that I want to combine into one table, they have slightly different column names. When I use Combine binaries it returns null for columns with different header name. Same result when i try Append Queries. How can you combine using column order instead of column name? Or am I doing something else wrong?

Append Query.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @LarsP

I am afraid this has to be done by hand. This is cited from official document: powerbi-desktop-combine-binaries

• Transformations were not considered for each individual file before the files were combined into a single table. As such, you often had to combine files, then filter out header values by filtering rows as part of the edit process.
  • The Combine binaries transform only worked for text or CSV files, and didn't work on other supported file formats such as Excel workbooks, JSON files, and others.

BTW, combining Excel workbooks isn't support by now. If you'd like remove a row in the middle of the table, you could use "Remove alternate row".

Combine binaries returns null for columns with different header name2.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @LarsP,

Could you please mark the proper answer if it's convenient for you? That will be a help to others.

Best Regards!
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @LarsP,

Maybe we could say Power BI is smart. We can do it this way. 

1. We do "use headers as first row" in the three table. So they almost have the same headers.

2. Append the three tables.

3. Delete the two rows of headers and "Use First row as headers".

Combine binaries returns null for columns with different header name.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried and fail on something embarrasing simple. How do I delete a marked row? I can only find remove top rows, bottom rows, etc.

One way would be to remove the headers before append. Can this also work with combine binaries? Im trying to automate as much as possible.

Hi @LarsP,

I should have done it better. We can delete it first before appending. Keep only the headers we want. Delete the other two headers.

Best Regards!

Dale

Thanks Dale

And how about Combine Binaries? How do you solve it there?

/LarsP

Hi @LarsP

What do you mean "Combine Binaries"? Just use "Append queries" in the Query Editor?

Best Regards!

Dale

Sorry for being unclear. Im trying to set up a solution where a collegue can connect to a folder where 3 excel files are located. The structure is always the same but the content is unique. My understanding was that that connection to more than one file is called Combine Binaries. If I need to manually remove the headers that is easier to do in excel.

Thanks for your explanation about append, it helped.

/LarsP

Hi @LarsP

I am afraid this has to be done by hand. This is cited from official document: powerbi-desktop-combine-binaries

• Transformations were not considered for each individual file before the files were combined into a single table. As such, you often had to combine files, then filter out header values by filtering rows as part of the edit process.
  • The Combine binaries transform only worked for text or CSV files, and didn't work on other supported file formats such as Excel workbooks, JSON files, and others.

BTW, combining Excel workbooks isn't support by now. If you'd like remove a row in the middle of the table, you could use "Remove alternate row".

Combine binaries returns null for columns with different header name2.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.