Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Combine Rows

Hi - I am trying to combine rows for "PVColumnName" for each ProcessOrderNbr. I would like each PrcocessOrderNbr to have "Fail" and the failed comment in the same column. I tried the method where you group by table and I am getting an error when I try and do it that way. Any Ideas?

I want my table to look like this but with the Fail and Failed coment combined. 

Thank you in Advanced! - Rachel 

2021-01-07_15h10_30.png

2021-01-07_15h02_07.png

2021-01-07_15h06_30.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to my understanding, you want to combine values of each category, right?

I did it in two ways, you could take a look at the pbix file here.

1. Use the following formula to creata a new table:

Table 2 =
VAR _t =
    SUMMARIZECOLUMNS ( 'Table'[ProcessOrderNbr], 'Table'[PVColumnName] )
VAR _t1 =
    DISTINCT (
        SELECTCOLUMNS (
            ADDCOLUMNS (
                _t,
                "a",
                    CONCATENATEX (
                        FILTER (
                            _t,
                            [PVColumnName] <> "Fail"
                                && [ProcessOrderNbr] = EARLIER ( [ProcessOrderNbr] )
                        ),
                        [PVColumnName],
                        ""
                    )
            ),
            "Pro", [ProcessOrderNbr],
            "PVC", [a]
        )
    )
VAR _t2 =
    DISTINCT ( SELECTCOLUMNS ( _t, "Pro", [ProcessOrderNbr], "PVC", "Fail" ) )
RETURN
    UNION ( _t1, _t2 )

2. In Power Query:

•  New Table1: Duplicate the original table-->Select columns-->Filter PVC="Fail"-->Remove duplicate:

1.11.3.1.gif

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjYwNrMwM1bSUTIAARdTJ4sQA1Mg1y0xM0cpVod4FaaYKkL1jc0cdYCkhaOClYJTqJOTjyslOiwNYDpMjD0sTAyMMFxBhAozTBWhugYWjjoKobqGBkDLdQ0NHQmpNzQGKzQBk6aOeiDHOroo+DhGuQYp+DoGeSvFxgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [id = _t, ProcessOrderNbr = _t, PVColumnName = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"id", Int64.Type}, {"ProcessOrderNbr", type text}, {"PVColumnName", type text}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type",{"ProcessOrderNbr", "PVColumnName"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Other Columns", each ([PVColumnName] = "Fail")),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Filtered Rows")
in
    #"Removed Duplicates"

• New Table2: Duplicate the original table-->Select columns-->Filter PVC<>"Fail"-->Then as @Ashish_Mathur  suggested, use Text.Combine() to group rows. 

1.11.3.2.gif

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjYwNrMwM1bSUTIAARdTJ4sQA1Mg1y0xM0cpVod4FaaYKkL1jc0cdYCkhaOClYJTqJOTjyslOiwNYDpMjD0sTAyMMFxBhAozTBWhugYWjjoKobqGBkDLdQ0NHQmpNzQGKzQBk6aOeiDHOroo+DhGuQYp+DoGeSvFxgIA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [id = _t, ProcessOrderNbr = _t, PVColumnName = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"id", Int64.Type}, {"ProcessOrderNbr", type text}, {"PVColumnName", type text}}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type",{"ProcessOrderNbr", "PVColumnName"}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Other Columns", each [PVColumnName] <> "Fail"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group( #"Filtered Rows", {"ProcessOrderNbr"}, {{"PVColumnName", each Text.Combine(List.Distinct([PVColumnName]), ", "), type text}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

• At last, append these two new tables.

The final output is shown below:

1.11.3.3.PNG

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to my understanding, you want to combine values of each category, right?

I did it in two ways, you could take a look at the pbix file here.

1. Use the following formula to creata a new table:

Table 2 =
VAR _t =
    SUMMARIZECOLUMNS ( 'Table'[ProcessOrderNbr], 'Table'[PVColumnName] )
VAR _t1 =
    DISTINCT (
        SELECTCOLUMNS (
            ADDCOLUMNS (
                _t,
                "a",
                    CONCATENATEX (
                        FILTER (
                            _t,
                            [PVColumnName] <> "Fail"
                                && [ProcessOrderNbr] = EARLIER ( [ProcessOrderNbr] )
                        ),
                        [PVColumnName],
                        ""
                    )
            ),
            "Pro", [ProcessOrderNbr],
            "PVC", [a]
        )
    )
VAR _t2 =
    DISTINCT ( SELECTCOLUMNS ( _t, "Pro", [ProcessOrderNbr], "PVC", "Fail" ) )
RETURN
    UNION ( _t1, _t2 )

2. In Power Query:

•  New Table1: Duplicate the original table-->Select columns-->Filter PVC="Fail"-->Remove duplicate:

1.11.3.1.gif

let
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Other Columns", each ([PVColumnName] = "Fail")),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Filtered Rows")
in
    #"Removed Duplicates"

• New Table2: Duplicate the original table-->Select columns-->Filter PVC<>"Fail"-->Then as @Ashish_Mathur  suggested, use Text.Combine() to group rows. 

1.11.3.2.gif

let
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Removed Other Columns", each [PVColumnName] <> "Fail"),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group( #"Filtered Rows", {"ProcessOrderNbr"}, {{"PVColumnName", each Text.Combine(List.Distinct([PVColumnName]), ", "), type text}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

• At last, append these two new tables.

The final output is shown below:

1.11.3.3.PNG

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

charliej31_0-1653052832332.png

I want to create a new column with row 1 value "Glasgow" which combines the values of Glasgow North and Glasgow South and renames row one as Glasgow. In row 1, I get an error when adding the values together because it is expecting a number, not a text. Is there a way to add the numerical values and rename the text fields?

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Do you want to see only 2 rows - one for each ProcessOrderNbr?  Share the link from where i can download your PBI file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

No I only want to see one row for each process number. The row should have Fail and the comment in the same cell. I can't share the file because it is confidential information. 

Hi,

This M code works

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Data"]}[Content],
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"Process OrderNbr"}, {{"All names", each Text.Combine(List.Distinct([PVColumnName]), ", "), type text}}),
    Joined = Table.Join(Source, "Process OrderNbr", #"Grouped Rows", "Process OrderNbr"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Joined,{"PVColumnName"}),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Removed Columns")
in
    #"Removed Duplicates"

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.