Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LFDM
Frequent Visitor

Combine Results of Two Slicers (Save My Masters Thesis, Please)

I'm new to Power BI but have to use it in my master's thesis to create a benchmarking dashboard.

Here's my issue: 

It is essential for the user to be able to select one company, that is the focus of the analysis (Benchmarked Company)

Further, one has to be able to select one or multiple comparison companies, that will be compared to the first selected company. 

But I am unable to do this properly. 

>>> HERE IS THE POWER BI FILE <<<

--

Here is what I did so far:

Second Try:

As I was not able to put two slicers on the same column (Company) in a senseful manner I did the following: I duplicated the table with all the data and now I have

• 1 slicer to filter the original data table to get the information for the Benchmarked Company
  • a second slicer to filter the duplicated data table to get the information 

But now I can't get Power BI to return all the companies (The one Benchmarked Focus Company AND the multiple Peer Companies) in a single list.

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 22.29.30.png

(PS: First Try:

One Table with One Slicer to select the companies. However, I was unable to then differentiate between Benchmarked Company and Peer Companies. )

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 22.30.23.png

I kindly ask for help as I am getting crazy about this and I have to hand the thesis in soon.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@LFDM

Within same chart, the selection you made in slicer will be applied as filter context on all data fields within this visual. It's not possible to have a measure take the context from slicer1 and another same measure takes the context from slicer2. And when you select multiple items in slicer2, their corresponding data must be aggregated. 

In your scenario, I don't think it's significant to include the Benchmarked Company data (for example, sales) and the comparison data (let's say, the difference between peer company sales and Benchmarked Company sales) into same chart. I think your first approach looks more friendly. Just put the company into Legend, each selected companies' sales data will be displayed. And you can "fix" a specific color for Benchmarked Company data. 

If you must show the difference value in the line chart. You have to "fix" this Benchmarked Company sliced measure value into a calculated column into your source table. Then you can directly compare this value under any context. 

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@LFDM

Within same chart, the selection you made in slicer will be applied as filter context on all data fields within this visual. It's not possible to have a measure take the context from slicer1 and another same measure takes the context from slicer2. And when you select multiple items in slicer2, their corresponding data must be aggregated. 

In your scenario, I don't think it's significant to include the Benchmarked Company data (for example, sales) and the comparison data (let's say, the difference between peer company sales and Benchmarked Company sales) into same chart. I think your first approach looks more friendly. Just put the company into Legend, each selected companies' sales data will be displayed. And you can "fix" a specific color for Benchmarked Company data. 

If you must show the difference value in the line chart. You have to "fix" this Benchmarked Company sliced measure value into a calculated column into your source table. Then you can directly compare this value under any context. 

Regards,

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.