Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Combine Data Models

Hi Guys,

I am trying to merge two individual data models each with its own unique data sets. 

Is this doable?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahenkj2
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

Responding to your question, "Is this doable?", yes, with certain considerations and assumptions about how unique these are?

For example, if we have one data model for production process. So it will have date/machine/product wise production data. And now say, we installed an automatic building management system which can log environment data every minute and supplier of this new system also make available raw data for you which you use in creating another data model. Right?

Now, though we may or may not say, that both these are unique but at least both have something in common, say at least date of production and date of environment readings, so it is natural to say that you may try to correlate production data with environment data on same time event, if there was any product defect correlated with environment change and so on.

In this case, date field was common to both the models and this is the way you need to find common items between such models. I am decribing all this on the assumption that since you had the thought to relate two models, there is a natural relation between them although they are generated independently.

The above concept is the part of dimnesion modelling and if there are more interests you can read through Kimball's dimensional modelling!

Just for reference, I also share a simple video here to take you to a practical example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnyRsO4NJPc

Hope above answer helps you.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
mahenkj2
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

Responding to your question, "Is this doable?", yes, with certain considerations and assumptions about how unique these are?

For example, if we have one data model for production process. So it will have date/machine/product wise production data. And now say, we installed an automatic building management system which can log environment data every minute and supplier of this new system also make available raw data for you which you use in creating another data model. Right?

Now, though we may or may not say, that both these are unique but at least both have something in common, say at least date of production and date of environment readings, so it is natural to say that you may try to correlate production data with environment data on same time event, if there was any product defect correlated with environment change and so on.

In this case, date field was common to both the models and this is the way you need to find common items between such models. I am decribing all this on the assumption that since you had the thought to relate two models, there is a natural relation between them although they are generated independently.

The above concept is the part of dimnesion modelling and if there are more interests you can read through Kimball's dimensional modelling!

Just for reference, I also share a simple video here to take you to a practical example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnyRsO4NJPc

Hope above answer helps you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mahenkj2 , if the above two data models you described are saved individually on your desktop, how do you then pull them together into one Power Bi file/environment? Hope my question is not confusing

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can connect to as many data sources in power BI desktop file as needed. So, for example one data source is from sql server, connect it with needed credentials. another one is also from sql server or Excel dataset or any other, again connect it suitably. Once data is connected from both set, they are part of pbix file to work upon, then you apply needed transformations and relate them with each other as needed.

Here you need to learn basic concepts of dimensional modelling as well as use of Power BI.

Hope it helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mahenkj2 , Thank you. 👌

Your welcome! 😊

IEG
Frequent Visitor

Hi 

There are two types of combining queries; Merge, and Append. Depending on what you are trying to achive. If you can give an example, we can help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to pull and combine two separate data models into one Power BI file 

IEG
Frequent Visitor

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.