Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

skeeder16
Helper I
Helper I

Combine 3 column names in same list to Use Same Conditional Color Parameters

I have 3 columns within a table that provide conditional color status with words "Complete", "In-Work", "Not Started".

STEP1: I've added a measure as follows (which only applies to 1 of the 3 columns):

Status Type Number = 
VAR StatusType = SELECTEDVALUE('Table1'[FilesSent/Received])
RETURN

SWITCH(TRUE(),
StatusType = "Complete", 1,
StatusType = "In-Progress", 2,
StatusType = "Not Started", 3
)

STEP2: I've added a column with this function (that also only refers to 1 of 3 columns):

ColorStatus = IF( 'Table1'[FilesSent/Received]="Complete", "#85ff33",IF( 'Table1'[FilesSent/Received]="In-Progress", "Yellow", "Red"))

Once I've added the measure and the column w/ the function, all I have to do is: STEP3: go to the field values area, choose Conditional Format, FORMAT BY: FieldValue, BASED ON FIELD: "ColorStatus" and the column referenced in STEP1 turns to the appropriate colors.

Very new to PBI and syntax, I can't figure out how to combine all 3 columns into the Measure area of STEP1 (and STEP2) so all 3 columns can utilize the definitions to colorize. Tried using "AND" in between each field refc and also tried "OR" - neither of which work...also tried the below, also not an option either...
Surely I don't have to perform STEPS 1 & 2 over and over for each of the 3 columns?

Status Type Number = 
VAR StatusType = SELECTEDVALUE('Table1'[FilesSent/Received]) AND = SELECTEDVALUE(Table1[Reconciliation Built]) AND = SELECTEDVALUE(Table1[Automated Interface Complete (Due)])
RETURN

SWITCH(TRUE(),
)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

GOT CONDITIONAL FORMATTING WORKING! – HERE’S HOW:

===============================================================

Created a column for each of the 3 status columns with an associated numerical value to verify desired outcome while the conversion from text to numeric to color occurred.

MEASURES CREATED:

FILES TYPE NUMBER:

Files Type Number =

VAR STN = MAX(Table1[Step 1:FilesSent/Received])

var status_number = SWITCH(STN,"Complete",1,"In-Progress",2,"Not Started",3)

RETURN status_number

INTERFACE NUMBER:

Interface Number =

VAR INTERFACE_VALUE = MAX(Table1[Step 3:Automated HMC Interface Complete (Due)])

var interface_number = SWITCH(INTERFACE_VALUE,"Complete",1,"In-Progress",2,"Not Started",3)

RETURN interface_number

RECONCILIATION NUMBER:

Reconciliation Number =

VAR RECONCILIATION_VALUE = MAX(Table1[Step 2:Reconciliation Built])

var reconciliation_number = SWITCH(RECONCILIATION_VALUE,"Complete",1,"In-Progress",2,"Not Started",3)

RETURN reconciliation_number

Then created 3 more measures creating 3 more columns for cross-verification:

MEASURE CREATED FOR EACH:

STATUSColors:

STATUSColors = IF( [Files Type Number] = 1, "#85ff33",IF( [Files Type Number] = 2, "Yellow", "Red"))

INTERFACE COLORS:

INTERFACE COLORS = IF( [Interface Number] = 1, "#85ff33",IF( [Interface Number] = 2, "Yellow", "Red"))

RECONCILIATION COLORS:

RECONCILIATION COLORS = IF( [Reconciliation Number] = 1, "#85ff33",IF( [Reconciliation Number] = 2, "Yellow", "Red"))

Then, the 3 main fields holding text status info, I selected each field in the VALUES area and set the drop-down CONDITIONAL FORMAT settings as follows:

Conditional Formatting> Background Color > Format by FIELD VALUE, BASED ON FIELD "STATUSColors" or "INTERFACE COLORS" or "RECONCILIATION COLORS"

(this applies the rules to the text columns) (these rules were set up in your measures steps previously)

==============================================================

A special thanks to @kentyler for help to resolve this challenge.  Hoping it helps others new to PBI with breaking out the rudimentary parts to make colorization with TEXT work. Numbers is a breeze, text a bit more of a challenge.

View solution in original post

outcome1.GIF

Here's the associated pic showing the breakdown explained above..

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

We need to switch to a screen share. I've scheduled a zoom meeting for 3:30. Can you do that. I'll probably need your email address to invite you.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!

Join the conversation at We Talk BI find out more about me at Slow BI

sounds good - I Private Messaged you --

we can update this post once a resolution is found

GOT CONDITIONAL FORMATTING WORKING! – HERE’S HOW:

Created a column for each of the 3 status columns with an associated numerical value to verify desired outcome while the conversion from text to numeric to color occurred.

MEASURES CREATED:

FILES TYPE NUMBER:

Files Type Number =

VAR STN = MAX(Table1[Step 1:FilesSent/Received])

var status_number = SWITCH(STN,"Complete",1,"In-Progress",2,"Not Started",3)

RETURN status_number

INTERFACE NUMBER:

Interface Number =

VAR INTERFACE_VALUE = MAX(Table1[Step 3:Automated HMC Interface Complete (Due)])

var interface_number = SWITCH(INTERFACE_VALUE,"Complete",1,"In-Progress",2,"Not Started",3)

RETURN interface_number

RECONCILIATION NUMBER:

Reconciliation Number =

VAR RECONCILIATION_VALUE = MAX(Table1[Step 2:Reconciliation Built])

var reconciliation_number = SWITCH(RECONCILIATION_VALUE,"Complete",1,"In-Progress",2,"Not Started",3)

RETURN reconciliation_number

Then created 3 more measures creating 3 more columns for cross-verification:

MEASURE CREATED FOR EACH:

STATUSColors:

STATUSColors = IF( [Files Type Number] = 1, "#85ff33",IF( [Files Type Number] = 2, "Yellow", "Red"))

INTERFACE COLORS:

INTERFACE COLORS = IF( [Interface Number] = 1, "#85ff33",IF( [Interface Number] = 2, "Yellow", "Red"))

RECONCILIATION COLORS:

RECONCILIATION COLORS = IF( [Reconciliation Number] = 1, "#85ff33",IF( [Reconciliation Number] = 2, "Yellow", "Red"))

Then, the 3 main fields holding text status info, I selected each field in the VALUES area and set the drop-down CONDITIONAL FORMAT settings as follows:

Conditional Formatting> Background Color > Format by FIELD VALUE, BASED ON FIELD "STATUSColors" or "INTERFACE COLORS" or "RECONCILIATION COLORS"

(this applies the rules to the text columns) (these rules were set up in your measures steps previously)

==============================================================

A special thanks to @kentyler for help to resolve this challenge.  Hoping it helps others new to PBI with breaking out the rudimentary parts to make colorization with TEXT work. Numbers is a breeze, text a bit more of a challenge.

outcome1.GIF

Here's the associated pic showing the breakdown explained above..

kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Try using & to concatenate fields.   'table'[field] & 'table'[other field]

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Join the conversation at We Talk BI find out more about me at Slow BI

no, @kentyler could not get it to work.. =-(  If the below is not what you meant, please copy/paste/edit to be exactly to what you meant for me to change) - also got the attached error (image)

Status Type Number = 
VAR StatusType = SELECTEDVALUE('Table1'[FilesSent/Received] & 'Table1'[Reconciliation Built] & 'Table1'[Automated Interface Complete (Due)])
RETURN

SWITCH(TRUE(),
)

single_value_error.GIF

here is the dope on SELECTEDVALUE

The function SELECTEDVALUE returns the value of the column reference passed as first argument if it is the only value available in the filter context, otherwise it returns blank or the default value passed as second argument. Here are a few examples of possible syntax.

SELECTEDVALUE ( Table[column] )
SELECTEDVALUE ( Table[column], "default value" )
SELECTEDVALUE ( Table[column], 0 )

so you probably need something like 

var Files = SELECTEDVALUE('Table1'[FilesSent/Received])
var ReconBuilt = SELECTEDVALUE( 'Table1'[Reconciliation Built])
var InterfaceComplete = SELECTEDVALUE('Table1'[Automated Interface Complete (Due)])
var statustype = Files & REconBuilt & InterfaceComplete