Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ContabilidadBI
Helper III
Helper III

Combine 2 fact tables in M (sales header and sales detail)

Hi!

I am working with a model with 2 fact (Sales) tables, One is the header and the other the detail. The thing is that the header has a metric (Discount). I would like to combine this 2 tables in order to recreate a star schema with only 1 fact table. To denormalize the discount from header, in DAX I can create a calculated column in SalesHeader with the following code to have the % discount of the order:

SalesHeader[DiscountPct] =
DIVIDE (
    SalesHeader[TotalDiscount],
    SUMX (
        RELATEDTABLE ( SalesDetail ),
        SalesDetail[Unit Price] * SalesDetail[Quantity]
    )
)

And then a calculated column in SalesDetail to have the discount in every line:

SalesDetail[LineDiscount] =
    RELATED ( SalesHeader[DiscountPct] ) *
    SalesDetail[Unit Price] *
    SalesDetail[Quantity]

But how can I do the same procedure in M so I can load into the model only one fact table?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @ContabilidadBI,

Now I understood what you need. This I what I got:

Sales TableSales Table

These are the originals tables:SalesHeaderSalesHeader

SalesDetailSalesDetail

And this is the explanation, step by step:

1 - Go to SalesDetail and create a new Amount column:New amount column on SalesDetailNew amount column on SalesDetail

Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Amount", each [UnitPrice] * [Quantity])

2 - To get the total amount by saleID, duplicate the SalesHeader table, merge it with SalesDetail and sum the column AmountThe table TotalAmountThe table TotalAmount

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTI0UIrViVYyAjKNIExjINMYwjQBMk2AzFgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [SalesID = _t, TotalDiscount = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"SalesID", Int64.Type}, {"TotalDiscount", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"SalesID"},SalesDetail,{"SalesID"},"SalesDetail",JoinKind.Inner),
    #"Expanded SalesDetail" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "SalesDetail", {"Amount"}, {"Amount"}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Expanded SalesDetail", {"SalesID"}, {{"TotalAmount", each List.Sum([Amount]), type number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

3 - Merge SalesHeader with TotalAmount table and add a custom column named DiscountPct to it:

SalesHeader table with two new columns - TotalAmount and DiscountPctSalesHeader table with two new columns - TotalAmount and DiscountPct

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTI0UIrViVYyAjKNIExjINMYwjQBMk2AzFgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [SalesID = _t, TotalDiscount = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"SalesID", Int64.Type}, {"TotalDiscount", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"SalesID"},TotalAmount,{"SalesID"},"TotalAmount",JoinKind.Inner),
    #"Expanded TotalAmount" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "TotalAmount", {"TotalAmount"}, {"TotalAmount"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded TotalAmount", "DiscountPct", each [TotalDiscount] / [TotalAmount])
in
    #"Added Custom"

4 - And finally, merge SalesDetail with SalesHeader as a new table named Sales and add a custom column named LineDiscount:The Sales TableThe Sales Table

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(SalesDetail,{"SalesID"},SalesHeader,{"SalesID"},"SalesHeader",JoinKind.Inner),
    #"Expanded SalesHeader" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "SalesHeader", {"TotalDiscount", "DiscountPct"}, {"TotalDiscount", "DiscountPct"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded SalesHeader", "LineDiscount", each [DiscountPct] * [Amount])
in
    #"Added Custom"

Hope it helps!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @ContabilidadBI,

This is your data:

SalesHeaderSalesHeader

SalesDetailSalesDetail

This is the final result using Power Query:

SalesSales

And this is the M code:

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(SalesHeader,{"SaleID"},SalesDetail,{"SalesID"},"SalesDetail",JoinKind.Inner),
    #"Expanded SalesDetail" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "SalesDetail", {"Unit Price", "Quantity"}, {"Unit Price", "Quantity"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded SalesDetail", "DiscountPct", each [TotalDiscount] / [Unit Price] * [Quantity]),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "LineDiscount", each [DiscountPct] * [Unit Price] * [Quantity])
in
    #"Added Custom1"

Explanation:

1 - Merge SalesHeader and SalesDetail in a new one called Sales

2 - Expanded the columns Unity Price and Quantity

3 - Added the custom column DiscountPct -> [TotalDiscount] / [Unit Price] * [Quantity]

4 - Added the custom coumn LineDiscount -> [DiscountPct] * [Unit Price] * [Quantity]) 

Hope it helps!

Thanks for your response but the relationship is not 1-1 is 1-n

This is Sales detailThis is Sales detailThis is Sales HeaderThis is Sales Header
Numticket is the key that relates the 2 tables. The Header table has 1 order per row. The Detail table has normally many rows for 1 order because each row corresponds to the product sold.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ContabilidadBI, sorry for my mistake. But this example also works with one to many relationship.

SalesHeaderSalesHeader

SalesDetailSalesDetail

SalesSales

Hi @Anonymous,

I think I am not explaining myself because in your example, the order 1 has a total discount of 10 $ and in the detail it has 2 lines, so lineDiscount should be 1.66666666 $ in the first row and 8.33333333 $ in the second. What I want is to incorporate the total discount (which is in the header) into the detail, in order to use only 1 table as the fact table with all the data, because if I use only the detail, the total sales wouldn't be correct, because it does not take into account the total discount of the order.

Thanks for your help!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ContabilidadBI,

I am sorry, but I can not understand your problem. Could you show some simple demo data? I can use my examples SalesHeader and SalesDetail. And create manually the final Sales table?

Hi @Anonymous,

This is Sales Header:

SalesIDTotalDiscountTotalAmountDiscountpct

This is Sales Detail:

SalesIDUnitPriceQuantityTotalAmount

And this would be the Sales table:

SalesIDUnitPriceQuantityTotalAmountTotalDiscountDiscountpctLineDiscount

I hope you can understand me better with this. What I need to do is to allocate the total discount of the order, at the individual row level (using the same % for every line of the same order), so I can have all the data in only one fact table. For example the first order has a total discount of 10 $, and it has 2 rows in the sales detail table, so the line discount of the two rows should amount to 10 $. The second order has only one row, thats why the line discount is the same as the total discount for that order.

Thanks for your help!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @ContabilidadBI,

Now I understood what you need. This I what I got:

Sales TableSales Table

These are the originals tables:SalesHeaderSalesHeader

SalesDetailSalesDetail

And this is the explanation, step by step:

1 - Go to SalesDetail and create a new Amount column:New amount column on SalesDetailNew amount column on SalesDetail

Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Amount", each [UnitPrice] * [Quantity])

2 - To get the total amount by saleID, duplicate the SalesHeader table, merge it with SalesDetail and sum the column AmountThe table TotalAmountThe table TotalAmount

let
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"SalesID"},SalesDetail,{"SalesID"},"SalesDetail",JoinKind.Inner),
    #"Expanded SalesDetail" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "SalesDetail", {"Amount"}, {"Amount"}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Expanded SalesDetail", {"SalesID"}, {{"TotalAmount", each List.Sum([Amount]), type number}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

3 - Merge SalesHeader with TotalAmount table and add a custom column named DiscountPct to it:

SalesHeader table with two new columns - TotalAmount and DiscountPctSalesHeader table with two new columns - TotalAmount and DiscountPct

let
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"SalesID"},TotalAmount,{"SalesID"},"TotalAmount",JoinKind.Inner),
    #"Expanded TotalAmount" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "TotalAmount", {"TotalAmount"}, {"TotalAmount"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded TotalAmount", "DiscountPct", each [TotalDiscount] / [TotalAmount])
in
    #"Added Custom"

4 - And finally, merge SalesDetail with SalesHeader as a new table named Sales and add a custom column named LineDiscount:The Sales TableThe Sales Table

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(SalesDetail,{"SalesID"},SalesHeader,{"SalesID"},"SalesHeader",JoinKind.Inner),
    #"Expanded SalesHeader" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "SalesHeader", {"TotalDiscount", "DiscountPct"}, {"TotalDiscount", "DiscountPct"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded SalesHeader", "LineDiscount", each [DiscountPct] * [Amount])
in
    #"Added Custom"

Hope it helps!

Thanks @Anonymous,

That is a perfect solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors