Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

okiedokie2017
Helper I
Helper I

Combine 2 columns from 2 different tables together (different lengths)

Hello, 

I have been struggling trying to merge these 2 columns from 2 tables. 

Let's call these 2 tables Table 1 and table 2. There is a relationship already established between them (Table 1 - [user_id]) & table 2 - [id]). Table 1 has 717 rows and table 2 has around 1888 rows. 

I am trying to create a new table that has [customers] from table 2 and [date] from table 1. 

Both tables has the [machine_id] columns which I think I need to use in order to match the [customers] and [date] together. Or maybe I can use the [id] & [user_id] as their relationship was already established. 

I am completely clueless on how I can do this and would appreciate someone to help me with this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. I found out using Queries is much easier to use and get what  I wanted!!! 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @okiedokie2017,

Have you resolved your issue? If you have, welcome to share your solution or mark the right reply as answer. More people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. I found out using Queries is much easier to use and get what  I wanted!!! 

Hi @okiedokie2017,

Congratulations, please mark your reply as answer, so more people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Difficult to suggest without seeing your data.  Share the link from where your file can be downloaded.  Also, show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @okiedokie2017,

Based on your understanding, there must be a 1:n relationship between Table1(1) and Table2(n). So please follow the steps below.

1. In table2, create a calculated column using the formula

date=RELATED(Table1[date])

2. Then click "New Table" under Modeling on home page, type the formula to create a new table including  [customers] from table2 and [date] from table 1.

NewTable=SELECTCOLUMNS(Table2,"date",Table2[date],"customers",Table2[customers])

You will get expected table, please feel free to ask if you have any question.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.