Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

edenyin
Frequent Visitor

Columns with datatype “combine files” missing

I tried to load data from clickhouse through ODBC interface;

After connecting to data source, I found some columns missing without any transformation step.

Here's the corresponding M code:

let
    Source  = Odbc.DataSource("dsn=dw_ck_test", [HierarchicalNavigation=true]),
    dw_Database = Source{[Name="dw",Kind="Database"]}[Data],
    student_Table = dw_Database{[Name="student",Kind="Table"]}[Data]
in
    student_Table

Then I checked the power query editor,I found that all the missing columns has the same data type: "Combine Files" as shown below:

edenyin_0-1623046756550.png

The original data types for these data in clickhouse is Int64 in comparison with the fact that all the Int32 data was load properly and did not miss.

So far,I assumed that it is the data type which made the column missing happend.

As a result, I added a step to detect the datatype

edenyin_1-1623047012405.png

And all the data was transformed into Int64 as shown below:

edenyin_2-1623047164643.png

And the here's the M code:

let
    Source = Odbc.DataSource("dsn=dw_ck_test", [HierarchicalNavigation=true]),
    dw_Database = Source{[Name="dw",Kind="Database"]}[Data],
    student_Table = dw_Database{[Name="student",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(student_Table,{{"customer_key", Int64.Type}, {"date_key", Int64.Type}, {"shop_key", Int64.Type}, {"source_key", Int64.Type}, {"team_key", Int64.Type}, {"type_key", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

After I applied the query,the missing columns showed up but  an error was reported showing that each row of the table has error detected which I thought caused by the type changing:

edenyin_0-1623047902689.png

And here's what really confuse me:

I viewed errors  and the error query said that "detected data type dismatches ", but no error was actually kept as shown below:

edenyin_1-1623048076150.png 

edenyin_2-1623048424988.png

And I check the data section,I found the data of table "student" was loaded properly:

edenyin_0-1623050043769.png

Built a measure based on student table,the result was not blank neither:

edenyin_2-1623050388066.png

What could be the possible reason for this? And would the error really affect the usage of data? Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @edenyin ,

"Combine Files" is not a data type. It means that you need to click on it to get contents.

Please check this document to get more details: Combine files (binaries) in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @edenyin ,

"Combine Files" is not a data type. It means that you need to click on it to get contents.

Please check this document to get more details: Combine files (binaries) in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.