Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

fruff

Columns load as blank in Power BI but my excel file has data

Hello,

I am trying to load an excel file into Power BI and having an issue.  My excel file only has six columns, and not all of the first column is loading.  It shows up as an entry in excel, but comes up blank in Power BI.  I literally started to use this tool yesterday, so I am hoping this is an easy fix.  It is only affecting cells that have a letter in the data, so i know it has something to do with that.  Both columns are formatted as text.  Any ideas?

Capture Excel.PNGCapture Power BI.PNG

6 REPLIES 6
v-chenwuz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @fruff ,

Please try to see if it has a value in power query edit. If your excel is in .xls format, try converting it to xlsx and try again.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ chenwu zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it Iquickly.

fruff

That was just one example.  It is scattered all over my file.  It is anything that has a letter in the CLASS column in excel.  That data is pulling as an error in Power BI.

Has your column been defined as a number?

It should be defined as text. If that is the case, you should have 'abc' before your column name.

If it has anything else there, please click on it and change it to a text format.

it is defined as text, the same as the excel datasource.  i have refreshed it and still getting 7k+ blanks

Can you share a sample of your file?

If not, what error message do you get for these lines?

Smalfly
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @fruff ,

from your printscreen, I see that the rows you are talking about are in lines 55K + of your original file.

The Power BI preview pane is based on the top 1000 rows in your source file.

I would first try to load more data like this:

Smalfly_0-1663247495839.png

and then you should see more values.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.