Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Columns don´t update automatically when introducing new source

Hi there, I have the following problem:

in my Table I have 3 Columns that are added to the table by joining two tables in the PowerQuery Backend.

This join takes so long that I decided to load both tables into the model and join them using RELATED function. This works quite good and is faster.

The problem now is: all other columns, that referred to the RELATED columns (same name as before and same datatype and same format) still show #ERROR although the new columns are exactly the same.

what can I do to avoid the process of writing all Colums new just to trigger something like a refresh. I dont get the failure because everything is the same except the join is now done in the model and not in powerQuery. (See in picture, values are available (MMAB,BB,DOKU) but it still says error without any reason)

DerWindy_0-1604930496837.png

Thanks and greetings - daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous If you are using calculated column, it wont refresh when changes are made to the data. Custom column like all other columns are updated during the load time and any new data does not impact them. So basically, during run time you cannot update the column values, only measure are updated on run time. If you can share your detailed data and what you want to do exactly, we can assist you accordingy. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , has related column worked ever. You can create a column on  many side using related in 1-M relation.

In case power query merge is working you should use that.https://radacad.com/append-vs-merge-in-power-bi-and-power-query

Refer how in DAX we can copy values from one table to another -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czNHt7UXIe8

negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous If you are using calculated column, it wont refresh when changes are made to the data. Custom column like all other columns are updated during the load time and any new data does not impact them. So basically, during run time you cannot update the column values, only measure are updated on run time. If you can share your detailed data and what you want to do exactly, we can assist you accordingy. 

Appreciate your Kudos

Follow me on linkedin

camargos88
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous ,

Do you really need to merge them ?

Does creating a relatioship work for you ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.