Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ayup
Helper I
Helper I

Column with SUM summarization being treated as DISTINCT instead

Hi there

Got a strange problem that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I've imported a financial data source into PBI Desktop that includes two columns that hold monetary amounts - ENTERED_AMOUNT and ACCOUNTED_AMOUNT.  After importing the data, as expected/required, PBI has defined both fields with a Data Type of "Decimal Number" and a Default Summarization of "Sum":

Capture.JPG

However, when displaying these fields together in a table visual, PBI seems to be treating the summarization of ACCOUNTED_AMOUNT as though it is a "Distinct":

Visual.JPG

Note that there is no totalling on ACCOUNTED_AMOUNT and the values displayed are distinct values for the column for the data being filtered.

However, if I use a matrix visual instead, both fields are displayed as expected:

Matrix.JPG

I can work around this problem by creating a separate measure that performs a sum against ACCOUNTED_AMOUNT:

Measure.JPG

Any ideas why the default summarization is behaving this way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for you response.

The column has been decimal all along.

I think I'm going to call this one as resolved - having changed the summarization on the visual level to "Sum" on the offending visual, I can no longer reproduce the issue.  Any new visual that I created that includes ACCOUNTED_ACCOUNT is correctly inheriting the Default Summarization of "Sum".  However, I am confident that I have, at no point changed the Default Summarization value; nor have deliberately changed the column's summarization at the visual level.

Anyhow, this issue is not significant enough to worry about.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ayup
Helper I
Helper I

I've work out what's going on here but not why.  It seems that the default summarization has not been carried down to the table visual for ACCOUNTED_AMOUNT - this was set to "Do not summarize" - but it was carried down for ENTERED_AMOUNT.  Changing the summarization on the column at the visual level fixes the problem.

However, I still don't understand why the visual in not inheriting the default summarization that is defined against ACCOUNTED_AMOUNT.

was the data type a decimal when you dragged it in the visual first time? did you create any relationships using it?  just throwing those out there.   must be a logical reason

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thanks for you response.

The column has been decimal all along.

I think I'm going to call this one as resolved - having changed the summarization on the visual level to "Sum" on the offending visual, I can no longer reproduce the issue.  Any new visual that I created that includes ACCOUNTED_ACCOUNT is correctly inheriting the Default Summarization of "Sum".  However, I am confident that I have, at no point changed the Default Summarization value; nor have deliberately changed the column's summarization at the visual level.

Anyhow, this issue is not significant enough to worry about.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.