Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ale
Resolver II
Resolver II

Column output based on another column value and time function

I have a table like that:

Bild01.PNG

I'm comparing values from CurrentMonth vs PreviousMonth (based on the month selected in the slicer) for all of the KPIs, and based on that, I assign a specific result.

However, for each KPI, there is a logic behind when comparing. The logic is:

Bild02.PNG

So, for KPI A, the CurrentMonth value must be 10% higher then PreviousMonth. When this is true, then assign 1. If not true, then 0. For KPI B, it has to be 3% higher. And for KPI C, it just need to be higher.

To pull the CurrentMonth and PreviousMonth values, I created two measures, one of them with a time function:

CurrentMonth = SUM( [KPIValue] )
PreviousMonth = CALCULATE (
SUM( [KPIValue] ); PREVIOUSMONTH( [Date] ) )

I tried to create a Column in my table to assign the output (Result), and used a Switch function like this:

Result = SWITCH (
[KPIName];
"KPI A"; IF( [CurrentMonth] >= [PreviousMonth]*1.10;1;0 );
"KPI B"; IF( [CurrentMonth] >= [PreviousMonth]*1.03;1;0 );
"KPI C"; IF( [CurrentMonth] >= [PreviousMonth];1;0 );
)

My issue is that when I try to use this Switch, it does not work, since the PreviousMonth come as blank (it can not calculate a time function for each row of the table - only works as a measure).

I'm now lost how should I proceed from here. I tried to create a Measure instead of a Column, but then the Switch function does not accept the KPIName as parameter.

Any ideas? Hope I've been clear here, if not, please let me know what further information you need.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Ale Please try this as a "Measure"

Result = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE(Test155[KPIName]),
                "A",IF(_KeyMeasures[Test155CurrMonth]>=_KeyMeasures[Test155PrevMonth]*1.10,1,0),
                "B",IF(_KeyMeasures[Test155CurrMonth]>=_KeyMeasures[Test155PrevMonth]*1.03,1,0),
                "C",IF(_KeyMeasures[Test155CurrMonth]>=_KeyMeasures[Test155PrevMonth],1,0),
                0)

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Ale Please try this as a "Measure"

Result = SWITCH(SELECTEDVALUE(Test155[KPIName]),
                "A",IF(_KeyMeasures[Test155CurrMonth]>=_KeyMeasures[Test155PrevMonth]*1.10,1,0),
                "B",IF(_KeyMeasures[Test155CurrMonth]>=_KeyMeasures[Test155PrevMonth]*1.03,1,0),
                "C",IF(_KeyMeasures[Test155CurrMonth]>=_KeyMeasures[Test155PrevMonth],1,0),
                0)

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Hello I am trying to write similar logic and not sure but can not reference column name in IF clause. 

I am not sure what is _KeyMeasure here , is it a new table name ? 

Hi @dd96 ,

yes, _KeyMeasures is just the name of the table. You can ignore it.

Uow, I was missing the SELECTEDVALUE thing. I never heard about that (I started with PowerBI last week).

Apparently it worked! I also found a second solution but it envolves creating multiple columns on the dataset (previousmonth column, previousmonthvalue column, and from there the result column). It's not that elegant tho. I will stick with your solution. Thank you so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.