Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ssze
Helper II
Helper II

Column order

I have a table like this, where i have organised my FLITS_Spec by order.

So if i plot my FLITS_Spec on x axis and some other related volume on y axis it plots perfectly in that order i want (i.e. Pruned Oversized, XPr40, Pruned35....)

I am hoping to create a graph with Log_summary organised by the same order (i.ee. P40, P35, P30, S30....) but everytime i create a graph (x axis is Log_Summary, y axis is some related table in volume), the order would default back to alphabetical rather than by the custom order.

Question is do i have to create another table with no duplicates and link the 2, or is there a way to get around this without having another table?

ssze_0-1622760259490.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @ssze , not sure if am clear about what you are trying to do, but one way to do it, is to sort in Power Query, the way you would like to se it, and then add an index column.  Then going back to Power BI, you can use the column sort by on the ribbon, and sort the log col by the index column.
Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

It has multiple orders for same GradeComb in the table, it's not possible to custom a sort order column to have the GradeComb column sorted by this numeric column.

In your case, like the previous commenter said, you cannot use the same sort order field as for the initial field (since values likely aren't distinct). However, that doesn't need to stop you from creating a new sorting field!

For example, create a table that looks like:

GradeComb SortOrder

Purned 1

A/30    2

Pulp    3

Then, link this table to your existing table. Then, in the existing table, create a new field called "Sort Order for States" that is just =related(SortOrderTable[SortOrder]).

Then, that field becomes the one you can use to sort your groups using the "Sort by column" button in the modeling tab.

Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi @ssze , not sure if am clear about what you are trying to do, but one way to do it, is to sort in Power Query, the way you would like to se it, and then add an index column.  Then going back to Power BI, you can use the column sort by on the ribbon, and sort the log col by the index column.
Let me know if you have any questions.

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos 👍are nice too.
Nathaniel

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @Nathaniel_C , thanks for that - yep i do have an index column for the table (see the first column order). but it only works if i want to organise my second column (FLITS_Spec) and if i try to use the same index column for my third column (Log_summary) it tells me it can't sort.

ssze_0-1622761660955.png

i am guessing i can get around it by creating another table for Log_summary and unique index column but just wonder if i can get around this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.