Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gcp_kumar
Frequent Visitor

Column or Measure based on value from Child Table

Hello Everyone!

I have two tables linked by Parent-Child Relationship. To put it in a more practical way, the Parent table contains information about a person, and the child table contains education information about his/her children. A person can have one or more children with different educational backgrounds. I want to add a column or measure(whichever is more appropriate) in the parent table whose value will be true if any of the children is a 'Doctor'. The table structure is something like this:

gcp_kumar_0-1603885037317.png

Regards,

Abishek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, the solution might be different regarding on how you want to show this data. First of all the tables must be related to make thie following DAX work. I think the easiest to understand the model would be a new column in Parent table like this:

ColumnDoctor =
COUNTX(
    FILTER(
        RELATEDTABLE(Children), Children[EducationalBackgroud] = "Doctor"
    ), 
    Children[ID]
)

That will count the doctors in children for each row in parent. Then you can filter by > 0 to get the rows or add an IF like

ColumnDoctor=
VAR previousCalulation = COUNTX(...
RETURN
IF ( previousCalculation > 0, TRUE(), FALSE() )

You can also solve this with a measure, but I would prefer to know a bit more about the data visualization for this to understand the context before suggesting it.

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gcp_kumar
Frequent Visitor

@ibarrau , @amitchandak  Thank you for your quick response. I think I should inform you that I am using Direct Query mode to import data from the Azure SQL database.

I tried both queries but it is throwing "COUNTX not recognized" error. I am trying to add a custom column in the Transform data window.

My aim here is to find parents having at least one child who is a doctor. Once I have this information, I can visualize different attributes for these parents.

Edited: Thank you @amitchandak @ibarrau , your solution worked! I tried creating measure and I am able to achieve the result I wanted.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@gcp_kumar , Try a new column in parent table

if(isblank(countx(filter(children, children[parent_id] = parent[id] && children[educational background] ="Doctor"),[ID]_)),false(), true())

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi, the solution might be different regarding on how you want to show this data. First of all the tables must be related to make thie following DAX work. I think the easiest to understand the model would be a new column in Parent table like this:

ColumnDoctor =
COUNTX(
    FILTER(
        RELATEDTABLE(Children), Children[EducationalBackgroud] = "Doctor"
    ), 
    Children[ID]
)

That will count the doctors in children for each row in parent. Then you can filter by > 0 to get the rows or add an IF like

ColumnDoctor=
VAR previousCalulation = COUNTX(...
RETURN
IF ( previousCalculation > 0, TRUE(), FALSE() )

You can also solve this with a measure, but I would prefer to know a bit more about the data visualization for this to understand the context before suggesting it.

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.