Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Stuquan
Frequent Visitor

Column not reacting to Slicer DAX

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to PowerBi; starting to get the hang of it but I'm having trouble finding any article/help on my particular issue, I'll try be as succint as possible.

Basically, I have a sum'd column not reacting to a particular slicer called 'Status'. I have two columns showing different amounts, Column 'Sum_Per_Week' is correctly reacting when I apply the slicer, this is a measure column. Column '£_Sum' is not reacting correctly, this is a column using a Summarize & Sum function (I believe this is a virtual table but correct me if I'm wrong).

The overall issue is that, the cumulative value column is showing the incorrect figure because it references my '£_Sum' column (and I cannot change the column reference to 'Sum_Per_Week' in the 'Cumulative_Value' formula, it can't seem to find reference to it, I believe DAX can't reference a measure column inside another measure?)

Here's a link to my project: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8wdt8otx1hlt13/CH%20Link2.0.pbix?dl=0

I'd greatly appreciate any advice and/or help.

Many thanks,

Stewart

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Stuquan gotcha.  Looking at your file right now.  This is overcomplicated because you don't have a date table.  I would strongly recommend that you create one and mark it appropriately.  If you do that, there's no need to create a virtual table for the visualization...just a couple very simple measures.  There really isn't a need for a virtual table at all.  But your measures would be simpler than what you're currntly working with.

Someone else could probably create the measures you're looking for but your real, underlying problem is the data model itself.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Stuquan if what you're asking is why isn't a calculated column changing with a slicer it's because it's won't.  Calculated columns and tables are only calculated when data is refreshed.  If you want something that will be responsive to slicers, you need to use a measure.

Hi @littlemojopuppy, thanks for getting back to me. I perhaps wasn't clear enough, my 'Sum_Per_Week' column is a measure, but I cannot use it in my 'Cumulative_Value' measure which totals the previous weeks total to the current weeks, it doesn't seem to be able to find the 'Sum_Per_Week' measure when I try to reference it in the table|column part of that formula.

@Stuquan gotcha.  Looking at your file right now.  This is overcomplicated because you don't have a date table.  I would strongly recommend that you create one and mark it appropriately.  If you do that, there's no need to create a virtual table for the visualization...just a couple very simple measures.  There really isn't a need for a virtual table at all.  But your measures would be simpler than what you're currntly working with.

Someone else could probably create the measures you're looking for but your real, underlying problem is the data model itself.

Hey again @littlemojopuppy. Thanks very much for your insights, I totally agree it is very messy and I will look to clear it up. I actually did get it working just now believe it or not! For anyone else reading this with perhaps a similar issue: I was trying to sum up a sum in my cumulative value column (doh!), all I had to do was aim it at the raw data once again and apply the correct filters and it seems to be working. 

Thanks again though, it is good to talk these issues out with people.

@Stuquan glad you got it to work!  🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.