Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

markmess77
Resolver I
Resolver I

Column not appearing in query editor?

I'm having this strange problem that I've never seen before. I am pulling data from a SQL table, but the last column is missing in the Power Query editor. I am therefore unable to perform any transformations on that column, which is causing some problems.

The strange part is that the column is visible in the Data tab when the query editor is closed. 

Is there anything that could be causing this column to be hidden in Power Query but visible in the Data tab?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @markmess77 ,

The reason for this is because all the columns displayed in the powerbi query come from the original data source. If the measure or column created by dax on the powerbi desktop can only be displayed in the data visual, it will not appear in the powerbi query. This is not caused by hidden.

v-henryk-mstf_0-1618800757737.png

v-henryk-mstf_1-1618800777172.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed information, and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Ok figured it out. Only after hitting the Refresh Preview button at the source step in the query editor, the missing column appeared. Still weird that it was hidden in the query editor, but still available in the report view to begin with, but the issue has been solved.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Cordial greeting dear, I am using if to generate a calculation but I only see 2 columns of the many I have, how can I solve this problem so that I get all the columns I have from the dimension FACTS?
Thanks a lot.

JOSEPOTES_0-1696849983979.png

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @markmess77 ,

The reason for this is because all the columns displayed in the powerbi query come from the original data source. If the measure or column created by dax on the powerbi desktop can only be displayed in the data visual, it will not appear in the powerbi query. This is not caused by hidden.

v-henryk-mstf_0-1618800757737.png

v-henryk-mstf_1-1618800777172.png

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed information, and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sorry for the late reply, but the column that I am referring to is in my original data source. The column can be found within the SQL table that it is being pulled from, but it cannot be found within the Power BI query editor. However, the field is found in the report view once the editor is closed. No idea what is going on here.

Ok figured it out. Only after hitting the Refresh Preview button at the source step in the query editor, the missing column appeared. Still weird that it was hidden in the query editor, but still available in the report view to begin with, but the issue has been solved.

This is exactly what happened to me.  Thank you very much for the solution!!

Hi @v-henryk-mstf ,

If my understanding is right, any column or measure created in Power BI Desktop view for visuals won't be displayed in the Power Query editor.

Also just FYI, I don't see a hide option at all against the column name

Clarify if I am missing something here

Hi @Thejeswar ,

Yes, your understanding is correct. 😁

Might as well download the latest version of PowerBI Desktop from the official, which can display the same function buttons as mine.

Best Regards,
Henry

Anonymous
Not applicable

@markmess77 

To answer such a question one would have to be able to re-produce the issue... unless you find someone that has already experienced this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.