Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

admin_xlsior
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Column in SUMMARIZE function was not found in the input table

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie and just learning DAX. I was trying to create a table with SUMMARIZE function but has an error which I think it is weird. I have the column but the function keep telling me it was not found.

This is my code:

Summary Table using SUMMARIZE =
          CALCULATETABLE(
                              SUMMARIZE('Fact Sale',
                                                   'Dimension Date'[Calendar Month Label],
                                                   'Dimension City'[State Province],
                                                   "Sum of Qty", SUM('Fact Sale'[Quantity])
                                                   )
                                                   , USERELATIONSHIP( 'Fact Sale'[Invoice Date Key], 'Dimension Date'[Date] )
                                                   )

and my data relationship is :
image.png

As you can see, I have all the fields / columns, what did I missed or incorrectly wrote ?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@admin_xlsior wrote:

Hi Lin,

I was about to send you the pbix, however since it is Direct Query then I tried to change to Import for your convinience. Unexpectedly the error is vanished. Is the error because a limitation of Direct Query ?

Another thing, yes for the USERELATIONSHIP (and CALCULATETABLE) is cleared, thank you very much on your kind explanation.

Thanks,

I don't have the book either, and Phil's syntax is correct, but I don't know the context of his example. If you had the problem with direct query but not import, then yes, that could be the fix. Direct Query doesn't support all Power BI features and should generally be used sparingly. Importing is where Power BI really shines.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JaclynPugh2022
Helper II
Helper II

The result I'm looking for is the last vendor purchased from.  What is the problem with this formula?  It looks like it should work...then I have this error:

JaclynPugh2022_0-1650739460144.png

Last Supplier Purchased From
=MAXX(
TOPN(1,
SUMMARIZE('DimDate1','DimDate1'[Date],'received pivot'[Vendor Name]),
CALCULATE( MAX('DimDate1'[Date])),ASC),
'received pivot'[Vendor Name])

edhans
Super User
Super User

1. You don't need USERELATIONSHIP(). That is only used to activate inactive relationships, which are shown in the model with dashed lines vs solid lines. Your image of your model has no dashed lines.
  2. You don't need CALCULATETABLE as SUMMARIZE() returns a table, and CALCULATETABLE() is would be used for additional filters, but you don't have any. (You don't need USERELATIONSHIP() per 1 above)

As to why it thinks your State Province column isn't there, I am not sure. I cannot get this to fail. I tried this in one of my reports and the table created just fine. I am wondering if there is some syntax issue I cannot see in the formula you have shown.

TestTable = 
SUMMARIZE(
    Sales,
    Items[Item Family],
    Customers[Customer Type],
    'Calendar'[Month Name],
    "New Sales Amount",SUM(Sales[Sales])
)

My data model looks like this which is similar to yours. 
image.png

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Hi thanks,

For the "USERELATIONSHIP", you're right. there's a flaw on the relationship design, since I tried to recreated it, and it supposed to have another relationship for the other key in my Fact Sale. 

The syntax, however, I recreate from the book which I used to learn, "Beginning DAX with PowerBI" By Phillip Seamark, Chapter 4 Page 73. Wondering if you have this book as well ?

This is the exact screenshot of the syntax in that book:

image.png

Thanks,

hi, @admin_xlsior 

I don't have this book "Beginning DAX with PowerBI", but if you could share your sample pbix file.

For "USERELATIONSHIP", i think there must be more than one relationship are created between "Fact sales" with "Dimension date" based on the example. so for the conditional "USERELATIONSHIP", it needs CALCULATETABLE to evaluates a table expression in a context modified by the given filters.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lin,

I was about to send you the pbix, however since it is Direct Query then I tried to change to Import for your convinience. Unexpectedly the error is vanished. Is the error because a limitation of Direct Query ?

Another thing, yes for the USERELATIONSHIP (and CALCULATETABLE) is cleared, thank you very much on your kind explanation.

Thanks,

@admin_xlsior wrote:

Hi Lin,

Thanks,

I don't have the book either, and Phil's syntax is correct, but I don't know the context of his example. If you had the problem with direct query but not import, then yes, that could be the fix. Direct Query doesn't support all Power BI features and should generally be used sparingly. Importing is where Power BI really shines.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.