Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WLFRD
Helper III
Helper III

Column in Desktop vs column in Service

Hello,

a day or two ago, I started with Datamart in Power BI Service. I have made some reports in Desktop and now I would like to do the same thing in Power BI Service. I connected some SQL tables to Datamart and when I use the Power Query from Service and add a column and paste the column lines from Desktop into Service, I get the error: a cyclic reference was encountered during evaluation. 

Isn't that strange because it should be the same? What do I need to do to make it do the same thing as in Desktop?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @WLFRD ,

Try copying everything from the advanced editor in Power query, replacing the one in Service. 

vluwangmsft_0-1669619301217.png

Similar error code refer:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Expression-Error-A-cyclic-reference-was-encountered-dur... 

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @WLFRD ,

Try copying everything from the advanced editor in Power query, replacing the one in Service. 

vluwangmsft_0-1669619301217.png

Similar error code refer:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Expression-Error-A-cyclic-reference-was-encountered-dur... 

Best Regards

Lucien

WLFRD
Helper III
Helper III

Capture8.JPG

This is a part of the column I copied from Desktop and pasted it into Service.

@WLFRD , Where is copied is very important, need what is before and after to check this error

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@WLFRD , You pasted the power query code ?

where you pasted that? Code is usually the same, but make small changes in the connection setting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.