Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Column header sorting in a matrix

I have a matrix column with headings 5 Years rolling annualized, 3 Years rolling annualized, 1 Years rolling annualized, YTD, MTD. I want to sort them this custom order, but it is getting sorted in the order 1 Years rolling annualized, 3 Years rolling annualized, 5 Years rolling annualized, YTD, MTD when i do it by creating a custom table with period column having rows 5 Years rolling annualized, 3 Years rolling annualized, 1 Years rolling annualized, YTD, MTD and sort column with rows 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 then creating relationship with the table and sorting the column with sort.
By default  order is 1 Years rolling annualized, 3 Years rolling annualized, 5 Years rolling annualized, MTD, YTD.
I also tried to fix it with Dax : 

sort =
if(CONTAINS('AFAM Portfolio Performance','AFAM Portfolio Performance'[Period Annualized],"1 Years rolling annualized"), "3",
if(CONTAINS('AFAM Portfolio Performance','AFAM Portfolio Performance'[Period Annualized],"3 Years rolling annualized"), "2",
if(CONTAINS('AFAM Portfolio Performance','AFAM Portfolio Performance'[Period Annualized],"5 Years rolling annualized"), "1",
if(CONTAINS('AFAM Portfolio Performance','AFAM Portfolio Performance'[Period Annualized],"YTD"), "4",
if(CONTAINS('AFAM Portfolio Performance','AFAM Portfolio Performance'[Period Annualized],"MTD"), "5","")))))

sort =
if(CONTAINS('AFAM Portfolio Performance','AFAM Portfolio Performance'[Period Annualized],"1 Years rolling annualized"), "C",
if(CONTAINS('AFAM Portfolio Performance','AFAM Portfolio Performance'[Period Annualized],"3 Years rolling annualized"), "B",
if(CONTAINS('AFAM Portfolio Performance','AFAM Portfolio Performance'[Period Annualized],"5 Years rolling annualized"), "A",
if(SELECTEDVALUE('AFAM Portfolio Performance'[Period Annualized])="YTD", "D",
if(SELECTEDVALUE('AFAM Portfolio Performance'[Period Annualized])="MTD", "E","")))))
But stil

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have created a table for sorting, then written a dax to relate the table and sort column with sort column of the table 

jyoti2191_0-1629192526432.pngjyoti2191_1-1629192543476.png

Sorting = RELATED('CALC AFAM Period'[Sort])

Hi @Anonymous 

From your screenshot, the Sorting did not bring all the index from your other table [Sort], not sure how did it happen but that's an issue why the sort is not working.

I can't replicate your issue. In my test, you go to Power BI -> Enter data, simply create your sort table, you can copy the data from Excel, or simply enter it, no need to write DAX to get Sort column. Then the rest is working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone help with the solution?

Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

You are using DAX Calculated column to do sort? Have you got Circular dependency error? How about adding a sort column in Power Query? It's better to provide some sample data along with your visual to show your problem clearly.

Table.AddColumn(yourPreviousStep, "sort", each 
if Text.Contains([Period Annualized],"1 Years rolling annualized") then 3 
else if Text.Contains([Period Annualized],"3 Years rolling annualized") then 2
else if Text.Contains([Period Annualized],"5 Years rolling annualized") then 1
else if Text.Contains([Period Annualized],"YTD") then 4
else if Text.Contains([Period Annualized],"MTD") then 5
else "")

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.