Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Dunner2020
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Column from sharepoint online does not show value

Hi there,

I am reading the list from SharePoint online list using online services from the get Data option. The data imported into Power BI successfully. However, some of the columns of the data do not show the value, instead, they show 'list' as value (shown in the figure). Could anyone help me with how to fix the issue?

leo_89_0-1608595556465.png

5 REPLIES 5
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

I assume you are pulling data from a SharePoint Person/Group column.  In that case, the list is actually storing an index name to that record, and that is the number you are seeing.  Are you using the SharePoint List V2 connector with View Mode (so it pulls only the data you are seeing on the SharePoint list?  Alternatively, see if there is a field to expand called FieldValuesAsText.  That will have all your column values as text and may get you what you need.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Dunner2020
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@mahoneypat Thanks for the response. When I click on the cell and previewed showed the some number. When I chosen the expand to new rows it generated a number. I was expected the text (name of the manager) because when I looked into sharepoint site (using website) I see the same column has text not the number. Do you have any thoughts on the issue?

Hi @Dunner2020 ,

Could you please consider sharing some screenshots about the issue from power query and sharepoint website as a comparsion for further discussion?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

That just means the data are stored as a list and can be expanded further to get to the results (Records and Tables are the same).  In the query editor, you can click to the right of the word list (not on it) to see what's inside as a preview.  In the column head you should see an expand button on the right hand side.  Click on that and choose Expand to New Rows.  You may see values, Records, or another list.  If a record, click the expand button and choose the fields you want, etc.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thank you so much!  This was a problem for me and your post saved the day for my Power BI report!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.