Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

amyWMFS
Helper I
Helper I

Column does not exist in the rowset, Desktop only

Hi, 

One of my reports has just started getting a strange issue: when I refresh the date in Desktop, I get an error message that a particular column does not exist in the rowset. But it does exist, I can see it in the excel spreadsheet it comes from (saved on a sharepoint), I can see it in Power Query Editor, which throws no error when I refresh the preview there. My report refreshes fine online too, no problem. 

I have several queries in that report, when I refresh them one by one I get that issue with some of the queries I've tried so far.

There are no connection issues, my data sources are set up fine, some of the queries looking at other tabs on this spreadsheet are not causing any issues.

I even tried downloading the .pbix, in case my saved version was corrupted, but I get the same error message when I refresh it in Desktop.

This report is quite a lot of work, so I can't really start it again from scratch.

I updated to the March 2020 version of Desktop yesterday, could that be a bug with that version?

Thank you

19 REPLIES 19
amyWMFS
Helper I
Helper I

I have updated to the April version of Desktop and it has solved the issue for me.

Hopefully it does too for the others with the same problem.

Amy

amyWMFS
Helper I
Helper I

For those with the same issue as me, I've re-opened my ticket and they responded that the April version will be released soon so I should download it and see if it fixes the issue.

The April release should be out on the 6th of May I think, so I'll download it when I can and see what happens.

Amy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amyWMFS Thanks for sharing the much needful info. Greatly appreciated! Cheers, C

Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like this release somehow has reset a lot of my queries fields to "text" from being decimal or percentage.

Resetting those fields back to decimal solved the problem. Curious if that happened to anyone else.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I started to get this error in one of my models a month ago " ......column does not exist in the rowset" but it does. I thought I had done something wrong and have not had the time to problem solve it. I found it strange as the columns are there and I have not changed anything. It fails on deskop Powerbi however this model refreshes via the access point without giving this error at all.

The today it happens in a different model hence why I googled the error and found this post. Has their been any resolution on this? Now that I think of it this happend after I updated power bi desktop (bit over a month aog). I currently have Mar 2020 version.

Hi CandiceSonnekus,

I've had a number of Teams screen share sessions with people from Power BI, so far we've identified that it had to do with the header for the columns that produce that error: they all have a "line feed" line break  (when you do Alt + Enter within an excel cell). Some of my colleagues with the same version of power bi and excel as me did not have that problem though, which is odd. 

Unfortunately due to recent workload i've had to defer any further sessions with them, but we'll be picking it up in a couple of weeks or so, so maybe we'll find a solution then.

Amy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello amyWMFS

Thank you for the reply. I currently have version 2.79.5768.921 and see there is a new version released 1 April 2020 2.79.5768.1082 which I am installed and still same error. 

Hear you regarding the "line feed" on Alt + Enter however this was working before I updated with the latest Power Bi version (92.79.5768.921). The strange part also is that it works in fresh mode via the access point without giving this error at all? 

So when I want to make changes to my dashboard via the deskop and upload for these changes I can't as it keeps throwing this error. It is with 2 of my models now however have not had to much updates on my existing models of late until now, so maybe more. So I am stuck with this bug and have searched the web and as of yet no resolution. Unless its a bug that only Microsoft can fix?

yes, same here, it was working fine until I upgraded to the March version.

As we don't know exactly what's gone wrong, I can't really say whether it's something only MS can fix, but it does seem like it. So far they seem stumped by this error. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

So it is definitely the in line (Alt + Enter) that is causing the issue as I went and removed these in the source (excel) the copied this into Power BI and it worked fine.

The problem is there are a few models that have this in line problem and to change these is going to be additional work 😞

The models was built about 4 to 6 weeks ago (the one last year) and worked fine with the in line and since the latest updates it does not like it anymore. Hoping Microsoft fixes this bug soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Hi mate, I'm getting the same error as below whereas nothing has changed in this file nor the column removed.

2020-05-01_16-39-56.jpg

I have tried all the below:

1. Checked to confirm nothing is changed with the source Excel (.xlsx) file.

2. Location of the Excel file is the same.

3. Refreshed each and every query, individually in Power Query.

4. Changed location of both PBIX and Excel source files from SharePoint Online Site to local computer Documents folder.

5. Changed the name of the Excel source file (sounds silly) but tried it too.

6. Updated my current Power BI Desktop version from 2.79.5768.921 to 2.79.5768.1082.

The issue still persists!

However, I did not understand the concept of "line feed" on Alt + Enter in source Excel file.

Can anyone explain with screenshots so I can try this option?

If if you have found the resolution/fix to this issue by means of your already raising a ticket with Microsoft Power BI team about this, then please share the solution/fix.

Thanks in advance.

Chandu

Hi Chandu,

when you're in an excel cell and you want to start a new line within the same cell, you use Alt+Enter. My headers have those in (I didn't make the headers...).

From your screenshots your header doesn't seem to have one of those in. Maybe it's the '/', have you tried removing it?

I have a ticket with PBI, but it's on hld at the moment due to already large workload at this time of year plus the extra workload created by the current pandemic situation. I hope to re-open it in the next week or so.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amyWMFS Oh ok, sorry.. I knew that Alt + Enter. I got confused with the word "Line Feed". You are absolutely right.. in my case, "Injury/" was in the first line and "Space+Illness" was in the second line (again, it was not me who did this header, I've taken over someone else's report and spready!).

As you suggested, I changed the column to read as "Injury or Illness" and my report is working perfectly fine now.

Thank you so much for you help mate. Greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chandu

I'm actually glad someone else has the same problem as me (sorry!). I'll let the PBI people know when we next have a session.

Thank you 

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @amyWMFS ,

Create a support ticket via below link:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Here  is the reference about how to create the support ticket.

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

thanks Amitchandak,

slightly different error unfortunately, as mine only occurs in Desktop, and theirs does not occur in Desktop.

I've submitted a support ticket now.

HashamNiaz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi !

Try downgrading to PBI Desktop Feb 2020 update.

Its very starnge that you don't have backup copies of your Power BI solution to track what have been changed from time to time, if luckily you have got a  copy before last modification try to check if its breaking with March 2020 upgrade or not.

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Mar 2020 and also get this error 

Thanks HashamNiaz,

I reverted to the previous version, but now any report I'd opened with the March version refuses to open with December's. And some of those I had not opened with the March also version give me an error message as well though they do open afterwards, while some of them open just fine.

The one I need to work on won't open with older versions so I guess I'm back to March, and until this is fixed i'll just have to publish the report and update it online before anyone's had the time to open it and call me to say the figures are not up to date!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.