Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

phoenix20

Column creation - Ratio to sum by group

Hello all

I am struggling quite a lot with the following case. What I want to achieve is to create a column (important) per row that calculates the ratio of a value of that row, to the total by a group. Below is an example with excel with the formula:

Example

So, the highlighted column is what I want. For example row 2 , the 11,8 is calculated as a the value (B2) to the sum of the cars . The reason I need a column is that I want to use these weights later for creating another column.

When I create the following formula alone in Power BI to get totals per group, it works fine:

Sum_per_group = CALCULATE(SUM(RawData[Sales),RawData[Type]=RawData[Type])

If i then enter the value , so to find the ratio , as per below, I get only "Nan" ! (I added only the [Sales]/  )

Ratio = [Sales] /  CALCULATE(SUM(RawData[Sales),RawData[Type]=RawData[Type])

What am I doing wrong? 😕

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@phoenix20 wrote:

Hello all

I am struggling quite a lot with the following case. What I want to achieve is to create a column (important) per row that calculates the ratio of a value of that row, to the total by a group. Below is an example with excel with the formula:

Example

So, the highlighted column is what I want. For example row 2 , the 11,8 is calculated as a the value (B2) to the sum of the cars . The reason I need a column is that I want to use these weights later for creating another column.

When I create the following formula alone in Power BI to get totals per group, it works fine:

If i then enter the value , so to find the ratio , as per below, I get only "Nan" ! (I added only the [Sales]/  )

What am I doing wrong? 😕

@phoenix20

You can try to create a calculated column as below. See attached pbix file.

Ratio To Type =
RawData[Sales]
    / CALCULATE ( SUM ( RawData[Sales] ), ALLEXCEPT ( RawData, RawData[Type] ) )

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@phoenix20 wrote:

Hello all

Example

What am I doing wrong? 😕

@phoenix20

You can try to create a calculated column as below. See attached pbix file.

Ratio To Type =
RawData[Sales]
    / CALCULATE ( SUM ( RawData[Sales] ), ALLEXCEPT ( RawData, RawData[Type] ) )

Capture.PNG

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi @phoenix20,

Try this clculated column formula

=SUM(Data[Sales])/CALCULATE(SUM(Data[Sales]),FILTER(Data,Data[Type]=EARLIER(Data[Type])))

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
davehus
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @phoenix20,

Try:

SalesbyGroup = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[sales]),ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[Type]))

Ratio = DIVIDE([Total Sales],[SalesbyGroup])

This should give you the desired outcome.

Rgds,

Dave

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.