Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NickProp28
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Column and Measure (DIVIDE)

Dear Community, 

My measure and column have the same formula, but the column didn't display the 84.21%.

NickProp28_0-1665628602129.png

Btw,all these selections did not get the result I was looking for

NickProp28_1-1665628812720.png

Formula

Measure:

% = DIVIDE(SUM('SIT'[C_Count]), SUM('SIT'[Total]))

Column: 

divs = DIVIDE(SIT[C_Count] ,SIT[Total])

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @NickProp28 ,

According to your description, here is my solution.

You cannot use a calculated column to display 84.21% in the bottom total value of a table or matrix.

When you use calculated column, of course, if you use "Don't summarise", it will not do any summary calculations. But, even if you choose "Sum", it just sums the values in the current column instead of using the same calculated column formula.

When a Measure is used on rows in a table, the column total for those rows is not calculated based on a sum of the results in the rows, but instead it calculates using the same Measure formula and applies it to the total of the data selected.

Please refer to the following documents.

Create a matrix visual in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

How to Make Measures Total Correctly in Power BI Tables - ArcherPoint

Power BI Column vs Measure. Which one should I use and when? | by Peter Hui | Towards Data Science

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ xiaosun

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@NickProp28 , For a don't Summarize column you will not get total. (Based on what I got)

Dear @amitchandak ,

Yup, but I will still not get the 84.21% result if I select median.

NickProp28_4-1665630190479.png

Would it be possible to get the 84.21% in a column format?

Hi @NickProp28 ,

According to your description, here is my solution.

You cannot use a calculated column to display 84.21% in the bottom total value of a table or matrix.

When you use calculated column, of course, if you use "Don't summarise", it will not do any summary calculations. But, even if you choose "Sum", it just sums the values in the current column instead of using the same calculated column formula.

When a Measure is used on rows in a table, the column total for those rows is not calculated based on a sum of the results in the rows, but instead it calculates using the same Measure formula and applies it to the total of the data selected.

Please refer to the following documents.

Create a matrix visual in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

How to Make Measures Total Correctly in Power BI Tables - ArcherPoint

Power BI Column vs Measure. Which one should I use and when? | by Peter Hui | Towards Data Science

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ xiaosun

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.