Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nadavbi
Helper I
Helper I

Column and Dot Chart - Colors and Labels

Trying to show the absolute number and % (secondary Y-axis) for each category, so each column should have its own color.

Using Line and Stacked Column Chart, I put the absolute number as column value and % as line, while putting the same category value both as Shared Axis and Column Series.

Problem is, I get a dot for each % that doesn't match the color of the column. I also couldn't find a way to show only labels for one of the values (just line/just column).

Any ideas on how to solve this/other solution?

2020-02-20_16-38-04.png

6 REPLIES 6
mahenkj2
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @nadavbi ,

1. Use X axis field on legend, then line chart will become a dot chart, now you can change color of Column as well as dots manually. So once you have to do the exercise, that each axis item color for bar and dot can be kept same.

mahenkj2_0-1687368593485.png

2. You should also get data label opetion for Column and line plot.

mahenkj2_1-1687368657099.png

I have not set colors myself, but you will see options for both column and dot/line plot.

Hope it helps.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Alex_Mikhnev on the format page change the stroke width to 0 and turn on the markers 

parry2k_0-1687361023022.png

Subscribe and watch Fabric and Power BI videos at youtube.com/@PowerBIHowTo

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Alex_Mikhnev

Hi, Could you provide me which visual did you use? I wanted to build visual "Dots and Columns" as your on screenshot, but I don't understand how I can do it....

Alex_Mikhnev_0-1687348183195.png

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@nadavbi I spent sometime to figure out if there is any way but no success. I guess this is something you need to post on ideas forum and might get some attention. You can manually change the color for 2nd axis (line chart) but I know it is not very scalable solution. I was also thinking to use Measure for the color and I tried it, but no success. All of all it looks like it is not possible to achieve what you are looking for. Great question though.

You can surely look at custom visuals at market place if something fulfill your needs. Good luck!

Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Thanks. As far as I see it when I apply the settings that get these dots (instead of a line), there's no real option to change even manually their colors

@nadavbi you cannot manually change the color of bars but you can manually change the colors of line/dots

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.