Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

junder
Regular Visitor

Column Order in PBI

How can I keep the column order from my data source? PBI seems to change to alpha order. Ex. - Columns labeled and ordered: 'Actual, Previous, Budget, Forecast', get reordered in PBI as 'Actual, Budget, Forecast, Previous'.

4 REPLIES 4
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@junder You can create a new calculated column with Actual=1, Previous=2, Budget=3, Forecast=4 and later sort original calculated column based on this new calculated column by selecting the filed and Modeling option as shown below

sort.png

AlexGorev
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

If you are talking about the table\column order in the Field List, then curently you cannot change it. We do have a feature in the backlog to allow Alpha. Natural and Customer order.

If you want to sort categories in the visual using specific order, then you can use the Sort By feature in PBI Desktop. It allows you sorting one column in the model by another. You will need to create adiitional column in the table that contains the sort order as a numeric.

Alex.

@AlexGorev: Could you point me to the link in the backlog? Or is this something we don't have to vote for anymore? 😉

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

It's a feature...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.