Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Column Chart/Trend Line

I have a fact table with sales data which includes a SalesPeriod value. A related SalesPeriod table contains the SalesPeriodID that ties back to the Sales table and includes a "DateOfSales" column which is a datetime. When I add a column visualization, I would like to be able to add a trend line, but do not see that option under the Formatting tab.

Note, there is one row in the SalesPeriod table per month where the DateOfSales values are the 1st of each month (all sales occur in a given month.year, aggregated in the data I am provided). I have select Continuous for the X-Axis type (which is the date field) and get expected results, but do not see a Trend Line option using the latest PowerBI desktop update.

I'm pretty new to this, so must be missing something obvious, but cannot figure this one out!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I recorded a quick video (see below) to explain my answer.
I was able to add a trend line using a Sample Data Set I created based on your question.
Check out the video below.
Download my solution PBIX file attached

Power On!
-Avi Singh

YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Web

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

I recorded a quick video (see below) to explain my answer.
I was able to add a trend line using a Sample Data Set I created based on your question.
Check out the video below.
Download my solution PBIX file attached

Power On!
-Avi Singh

YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Web

@avisingh  hey there stranger.. so I have been searching EVERYWHERE on how to do a Trend lines in PBI... I know this video is old,  they must have removed this feature because everyone shows the same thing you do all over the web (old nothing updated) but this option in no longer under (Visualizations) Analytics for Bar or Line charts... I have been struggling for a week to find help from someone... My management LIVES ON TREND LINES in Excel.. I don't want to go backwards with using Excel its too much work... can you help me?  Power On!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Avi,

Wow, thanks for that very helpful video. EVERYTHING I read on trend lines indicated that it was under the Formatting tab, not Analytics. Watching your video pointed in to exactly the right place and my visualization is not working. Many thanks for the help, now if only MS could fix the documentation!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is very cool, but...I have a Line and Clustered Column chart, with two clustered columns and one line.  I want individual trendlines for the columns, but no trendline for the line.  When I add a new trendline, I get two by default--one that combines the column data, another for the line.  When I turn off "Combine Series" the column trendlines separate, but the line trendline remains.  Any way to control the trendlines independently?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.