Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Column Bar Chart Split from the same data?

Good morning.  I am working on a chart with some crime data.  My boss would like a column chart showing crime data for the previous day and the current day, but he would also like to see a comparison of week over week or day over day for a week’s period.  My data comes from an SQL query to an external DB and is from 2015 to present.  Hence when I place the crime type into the Axis/Value I am unsure how to then split that data into two separate time frames to meet the request for day over day and week over week view. 

I am a beginner on this tool so I do not know DAX or other more sophisticated mechanisms to deal with the data, but am willing to explore and learn. 

Hopefully this makes sense.  Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

First, create an unrelated calendar table as slicer.

DimDate = ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR("20/04/2020","28/05/2020"),"week", WEEKNUM([Date]))

test_newtable.PNG

Create measures to filter data from previous week and previous day.

test_new measure.PNG

last_day = IF(MAX('Table'[date])<=SELECTEDVALUE(DimDate[Date])&&MAX('Table'[date])>=SELECTEDVALUE(DimDate[Date])-1,1,0)
Last Week = 
VAR CURRENT_WEEK = SELECTEDVALUE(DimDate[week])
VAR CURRENT_YEAR = YEAR(SELECTEDVALUE(DimDate[Date]))
RETURN 
IF(MAX('Table'[week])<=CURRENT_WEEK&&MAX('Table'[week])>=CURRENT_WEEK-1&&YEAR(MAX('Table'[date]))=CURRENT_YEAR,1,0

)

test_Column Bar Chart Split from the same dat.PNG

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

DimDate = ADDCOLUMNS(CALENDAR("20/04/2020","28/05/2020"),"week", WEEKNUM([Date]))

last_day = IF(MAX('Table'[date])<=SELECTEDVALUE(DimDate[Date])&&MAX('Table'[date])>=SELECTEDVALUE(DimDate[Date])-1,1,0)

Last Week = 
RETURN 
IF(MAX('Table'[week])<=CURRENT_WEEK&&MAX('Table'[week])>=CURRENT_WEEK-1&&YEAR(MAX('Table'[date]))=CURRENT_YEAR,1,0)

Sample .pbix

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you.  As a newbie though...is that coding something I need to enter? or is that the logic behind the slicer?

Hi @Anonymous ,

test_newtable.PNG

test_new measure.PNG

Last Week = 
RETURN 
IF(MAX('Table'[week])<=CURRENT_WEEK&&MAX('Table'[week])>=CURRENT_WEEK-1&&YEAR(MAX('Table'[date]))=CURRENT_YEAR,1,0

)

Best Regards,
Liang

Hi @Anonymous ,

Yes, you need to create a measure and apply it to the visual level filter as the picture show.

You can refer to .pbix for more details.

Best Regards,
Liang

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there.  I did open the sample file...but still do not know where I would be adding those formulas your provided. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , you need to use date table for that So you can have a measure, which can be summarized based on date or week you selected

example

sales =SUM(Sales[Sales Amount])

//Day behind for yesterday

Day behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Day))

//7 Day behind for same week day

Day behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-7,Day))

You can take a diff for change

Diff = [sales]-[Day behind Sales ]

For Week refer my blog : https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Week-Is-Not-So-Weak-WTD-Last-WTD-and-This-Week-vs-Last-Week/ba-p/1051123

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi
https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

See if my webinar on Time Intelligence can help: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Webinars-and-Video-Gallery/PowerBI-Time-Intelligence-Calendar-WTD-YTD-LYTD-Week-Over-Week/m-p/1051626#M184

Appreciate your Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.