Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

H0wardM00n

Colour data points on a map according to category

Hello Everybody,

I am very new to Power BI and am trying to colour data points in a map according to category and for the life of me can't figure out how to do it. Apologies if this is a very newbie question.

I have a list of postcodes that i can map but they are all the same size and colour.  I want to colour them according to the category that the data point represents, i.e. Hospital, Pharmacy, Shop etc. etc. and then size the points according to the value i assign them (this has been straight forward enough in software such as Regiograph or Tableau but i can't figure it out in PBI).   Can someone show/tell me how to do this please or point me in the direction of a resource that will? 

I hope this is clear?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Rob

In Tableau we can show the color difference bec we have separate color Mark,

In power BI also availble its called "Color Saturation"

but it quite different here we cant use the dimension , here we can only use the measure value , its one drawback in power BI, I hope from upcoming update they change ...

am sure now there is no option...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Rob

In Tableau we can show the color difference bec we have separate color Mark,

In power BI also availble its called "Color Saturation"

but it quite different here we cant use the dimension , here we can only use the measure value , its one drawback in power BI, I hope from upcoming update they change ...

am sure now there is no option...

I just created a 3 entry table with postcode, category and sale value.  I can get the Size and saturation to change using the value as you point out but i can't get the colour to change... this is a fundamental requirement for us as we want to distinguish quickly and easily visually between different categories and simply adjusting the saturation isn't enough.

Oh well... back to the drawing board... or Tableau...

Thanks for your help guys.

Rob

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@H0wardM00n Can you post some sample data? Did you try putting Category in the Legend?

Hi Sean, 

I have rebuilt my test model and can now see the individual sites as i expected using the legend.  Thank you for the pointer.  

Rob

Hi everyone! Bumping up this old topic as I have a similar issue with using a map to categorize items.

I know that I can use the location for the country and then the Legend for the category of the items in my dataset.

However, my issue is that I have sub-categories on my table and I wanted to know if somebody has any idea on how to best show this on a visual in PBI.

For example, I have:

Country      Division    Process Type

Argentina    Finance      Manual

Spain           finance       Automatic

Honduras    Sales          Manual

I guess I can go with using the sub category as the Legend and the main one as a Slicer. Or maybe join the Division and Process type into a single Column and use that as the Legend. 

Any help is much appreciated. 

Regards,

Diego

@H0wardM00n Under Fields where you are putting your location, etc. There is a "Color Saturation" - drop your data point with those categories in there and that should give you different colors for your data labels.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank you for the reply Eno1978 but that has had no effect whatsoever. 

I have postcodes mapped and each postcode can only sit in 1 category. However when i drop this into the colour saturation it shows 'count of ' and i don't understand why.

Power BI map query.PNG

@H0wardM00n What is the behavior if you click the down arrow next to the "X" on the field row, can you select (Do not summarize)?

I just noticed, you can try the field in "Legend" as well. That should work.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.