Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alex-PBIComm
Helper II
Helper II

Colors in bar charts with hierarchy

Good morning everyone,

I'm trying to assign automatically a color to each region (see below), without having to select it manually under the visual options.

AlexPBIComm_0-1656843305870.png

Also, in the bar chart there's a drill down to country level, and I'm wondering wether it could be possible to maintain the Region colors when I get to the country view:

AlexPBIComm_1-1656843461642.png

The process of assigning colors should be automatic since the number of Regions is not static, and each Region might be split into two in the future.

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Alex-PBIComm ,

this is not possible as Power BI does not support a dynamic assignment of colors to column values.

You can achieve something that comes close to this, if store the color you want to use for a region/country inside the table and use conditional formatting to apply the colors accordingly, but this can become tedious.

The solution works something like this:

1. Create a measure that checks if region/country has a single value, if yes look for the color stored
  2. Use the measure to control the background color or a similar aesthetic property like line color inside the conditional formatting

Hopefully, this provides you with some ideas to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
grantsamborn
Solution Sage
Solution Sage
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Alex-PBIComm ,

this is not possible as Power BI does not support a dynamic assignment of colors to column values.

You can achieve something that comes close to this, if store the color you want to use for a region/country inside the table and use conditional formatting to apply the colors accordingly, but this can become tedious.

The solution works something like this:

1. Create a measure that checks if region/country has a single value, if yes look for the color stored
  2. Use the measure to control the background color or a similar aesthetic property like line color inside the conditional formatting

Hopefully, this provides you with some ideas to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.