Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fhgomezn

Colombia map

I've been having problems with Colombia's filled map, trying to draw the states/provinces. I'm trying adding the whole name of the country and with the 3 letters abreviation, it stills draw some states in other countries:

Amazonas, Colombia or Amazonas, COL goes to Brazil or Perú, or simply does not show

Bolívar, Colombia or Bolívar, COL goes to Venezuela or Paraguay

Córdoba, Colombia or Córdoba, COL goes to Argentina

Nariño, Colombia or Nariño, COL does not show and it says that needs more location data.

Its really frustrating this kind of problems, I'm only using Colombia information, with the states in a column, the name of the country in otrher, a merged column separeted by a comma or space...

Please, someboy help!!

14 REPLIES 14
weilu

After trial & error, what worked for me is to postfix " DEPARTMENT" to all department names (mine are in all caps), then for AMAZONAS, it's a special case and only "Amazonas Department Colombia" worked in the end. Bing maps is so hopeless in name lookup. I just wish they make it such that something can consistently work, like ISO code instead of this guessing work which is a huge waste of time.

jose_pineros
Regular Visitor

Hi, I do it in a simple way, adding the words ",Colombia" after department name for example "Chocó, Colombia", and adding lat and long and department code. Woks for me for filled and simple maps. Hope it works for you. This are the image of the table and map. I can share the file if you need it. Regards Jose

Captura.JPGCaptura_2.JPGregards

Puedes compartirme el archivo ?

Hi,

For my work I must show regional unified data defined by the company. how you could join the departments that make up those regions and that PW_BI interprets it. thanks

Very useful your file, a question, why the last three rows in "Unknown"?

Hi Jorge, this two last codes are unknown because there are agregated departments for my exercise I don't want to shape, you shouldn´t take it in to account.

For the regional unified data defined by the company, what would be the regional regional disaggregation (city, municipality?) depends on that. 

Hi Jose,

Could you please share the file with me.

Regards,

Geovanny Vergara

Hi Geovanny,

This the File 

Regards,

Jose

Hi Jose.

It has been two years since this post but hopefully, you still have that file... would you mind sharing it with me as well? Thanks!

Hi Kate, this is the File 

jedg83

I have been working on this problem, I could fix it adding the word "Departmento del "+ <department's name>, example: DEPARTAMETO DEL AMAZONAS.  This was my solution for Colombian map, if you need it to fix it at perubian map the answer is add "Departamento de" ...

fhgomezn

Hi, I've been having problems with Colombia's Filled map, PowerBI does not recognized some states:

Amazonas, Colombia or Amazonas, COL

Bolívar, Colombia or Bolívar, COL

Nariño, Colombia or Nariño, COL

Córdoba, Colombia or Córdoba, COL

Guainía, Colombia or Guainía, COL

Sometimes it draws them in Argentina, Brazil, Venezuela, USA, Perú or Paraguay. Sometimes it say that it requires more location data. I'm trying with the full name of the country, with the abreviation (COL), merging it with a comma, with space... anything has worked. 

It's very frustrating this situation.

Hi @fhgomezn,

You can add a calculated column with the formula below. But I made a little change of Guainía. If I change it to Guainia, it will show correctly in the map. I searched the Bing map and Google map. I see both of the two names in both of the maps. I don't know if this is correct. You can check it out in this file.

Column =
IF ( [Department] = "Guainía", "Colombia Guainia", "Colombia " & [Department] )

Colombia_maps

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thanks @v-jiascu-msft 

Do you know why this column transformation and choosing "place" in "data category" option does not work for Colombia Amazonas? That's the last state (frontier wiht Brazil and Perú) and it shows a blank spot there.

If I choose "state/province" in "data category" with this new column, it place Colombia Amazonas in Perú or Brazil (that countries also have a state named Amazonas)...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.