Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Collation Error

I have a Power BI project and I'm using DirectQuery. I'm trying to add a table visual. When I drag the value I want to the table field, it gives me the following error:

Cannot resolve the collation conflict between "SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS" and "Arabic_CI_AS" in the equal to operation.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

I tried the following: I created a new column from SQL Server that collates the affected column. So it becomes something like this:

SELECT [ACCOUNTNUM], [ACCOUNTNUM] collate SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_ as ACCOUNTNUM_2
FROM myTable

When I used the new column it still showed me the same error. I tried changing the collate SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS to collate Arabic_CI_AS but still the same error happens.

What should I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, but I already found a solution without having to change the collation of the table from SQL Server. I did the following:

Create a View of the table you need from SQL Server, but do it like so:

USE [enter_database_name_here]
GO

CREATE VIEW [dbo].[enter_view_name_here]
as
Select [column_name] collate SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS as new_column_name

from table_name

Basically just collate all the columns. Now you can import or DirectQuery this view and you'll get the data.

I hope this helps anyone looking for an answer to this problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Firstly, please check the collation of the table and columns that you imported into Power BI Desktop using T-SQL. If there is any difference between the collation, the above error would occur.

SELECT DATABASEPROPERTYEX('Yourdatabase', 'Collation')
GO
/* Find Collation of SQL Server Database Table Column */
USE yourdatabase
GO
SELECT name, collation_name
FROM sys.columns
WHERE OBJECT_ID IN (SELECT OBJECT_ID
FROM sys.objects
WHERE type = 'U')

Secondly, in SQL Server, change collation for problem columns with the T-SQL below.

ALTER TABLE dbo.yourtable ALTER COLUMN yourcolumn
            datatype COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS NOT NULL;  
GO  

There is a similar thread for your reference.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Couldn-t-load-the-data-for-this-visual-Exception-raised-by-the/td-p/98722

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using DirectQuery, so I'm not importing any tables. Currently I don't have the power to change the collation of any table (I'm not an admin). I prefer not to change anything in the SQL Server tables directly.

I'm getting the data from a View. Is there a line of code I could add so I can get the values I need without having to change the original table's collation?

@Anonymous,

I am afraid that  you would need to ask your SQL Server administrator to change the collation for you. We are unable to solve this issue on Power BI side without changing collation.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, but I already found a solution without having to change the collation of the table from SQL Server. I did the following:

Create a View of the table you need from SQL Server, but do it like so:

USE [enter_database_name_here]
GO

CREATE VIEW [dbo].[enter_view_name_here]
as
Select [column_name] collate SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS as new_column_name

from table_name

Basically just collate all the columns. Now you can import or DirectQuery this view and you'll get the data.

I hope this helps anyone looking for an answer to this problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.