Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

fadi
Employee
Employee

Collaborate w/ Power BI Desktop

Hello all,

Collaborate

What is the best way for a team to edit a Power BI Desktop file?

Currently, we take turns into editing a common file, before publishing to Power BI.

We use Power BI Desktop, to be able to keep track of the file, since downloading a file from PowerBI.com is not supported (only publishing from the desktop to the web is supported.)

Code reviews

In addition, I would like to be able to send code reviews, highlighting the changes since the last check-in, before submiting the file to Git/VSO, akin to regular software development.

Thoughts?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
RKB
Advocate I
Advocate I

We're also feeling the pain from this lack of collaborative editing in Power BI Desktop. It harkens back to the bad old days of emailing spreadsheets back and forth.

And code review / VCS integration would be awesome.

I have created an Office365 group within Power BI. The PBI Desktop files I upload to the file section of this group so everyone can see / download them.

A track of changes in the PBI Desktop file is not possible, but you can do this manualy in the report itself.

In 90% of the cases I will make a live connection to a SSAS datamodel. This model is fully described, technical and functional. In this case the PBI Desktop file only visualizes the data and therefor there is no need to describe the report.

"Please click the Accept as Solution if this resolves your issue; if it did not resolve your issue, provide more information on what happened instead.".

aviral
Advocate III
Advocate III

Still learning the way up the Power BI ladder. Listing a few things I believe would be best practice for Pro users at least. 

1. Create an Outlook group and all the collaborating members to that group on Office 365. 
  2. Any source data should be uploaded to this group's Files section so that everybody will have access to it. Refer this article to know how to find the URL to be used in next step.
  3. While using Power BI Desktop to get data use the get data from “Web” option as described in the article above.
  4. When saving the PBIX file from the Power BI desktop, it is suggested to save it back to group's file section where you picked up the source file from this will make sure that everybody has access to the PBIX file too.
  5. When publishing from Power BI desktop publish back to the group you created to ensure that everybody automatically has access.

Open to suggestions, comments, discussions, etc. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.